Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
androstan

Re: The X220 with the Renice X3

Partition manager had a separate "boot manager" that I put on the backup external drive. When I powered on the laptop with the external drive plugged in, it allowed me to boot from it.

Looks like the intel 510 is properly aligned also, according to the partition starting offset being integrally divisible by 4096.

802.11n
JNavas

androstan wrote:

Partition manager had a separate "boot manager" that I put on the backup external drive. When I powered on the laptop with the external drive plugged in, it allowed me to boot from it.

Looks like the intel 510 is properly aligned also, according to the partition starting offset being integrally divisible by 4096.

Cool, thanks.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
androstan

Whoo!

Paper Tape
Harima

If I put a HDD and a SSD Renice on the X220,...

...   is it possible temporarily  to "uncheck" in the Bios the HDD , so I 'll not hear the noise of the HDD and   still I keep a storage capacity  ??

802.11n
JNavas

Harima wrote:

If I put a HDD and a SSD Renice on the X220,...

...   is it possible temporarily  to "uncheck" in the Bios the HDD , so I 'll not hear the noise of the HDD and   still I keep a storage capacity  ??

If your HDD is that noisy, it's defective.
That said, to silence your HDD when you're not using it:

1. Open Power Manager
  2. Switch to: Advanced
  3. Expand Idle timers
  4. Set Stop hard disk rotation to low value(s).
Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Paper Tape
Harima

OK, thank you, :smileyhappy:

so I concluded of that :

it is better

- to buy an X200 with a hard drive,  then .. add an mSATA, 

-rather than buying directly X200 with onlyone SSD. ? (a SSD over HDD idle consume no more and is not noisier  than a SSD?)

What do you think ?

802.11n
JNavas

Harima wrote:

OK, thank you, :smileyhappy:

so I concluded of that :

it is better

- to buy an X200 with a hard drive,  then .. add an mSATA, 

-rather than buying directly X200 with onlyone SSD. ? (a SSD over HDD idle consume no more and is not noisier  than a SSD?)

What do you think ?

I agree. It's what I did. :smileyhappy:

Hope that helps,
John
Punch Card
freed

Very nice man.  But you should limit or just plain stop benchmarking your 510 to preserve its life :smileywink:

Didn't I tell ya that this was the way to go, and no BSOD or freezing problems with the Intel SSDs and Lenovo so far.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mobiuspizza

[ Edited ]

Hey guys I have real trouble starting to crop up with my Renice X3 after a month of usage. I am now getting frequent BSOD, freezes. I am getting 100% failure rate with Acronis backup trying to read the whole drive. It would either randomly freeze at some point of the backup or give me a bluescreen.Some times Windows can't even start up!

I had ran chkdsk without problem though.The HDD activity LED will lit up when disk is stuck.

Windows Task Manager and Resource Monitor will show 100% disk activity but low transfer rate. (See pic)

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/AnnihilatorX/ReniceX3.png

The Lenovo BIOS, chipset drive, Renice X3 firmware are all up to date.

I am pretty sure it's not chipset driver, because I also tried MS stock AHCI driver.

It is very annoying because I've had the drive for more than a month and therefore I can't get a refund or so.

Moderator edit: 110k Image converted to link, per the Community Rules.

802.11n
JNavas

mobiuspizza wrote:

Hey guys I have real trouble starting to crop up with my Renice X3 after a month of usage. I am now getting frequent BSOD, freezes. I am getting 100% failure rate with Acronis backup trying to read the whole drive. It would either randomly freeze at some point of the backup or give me a bluescreen.Some times Windows can't even start up!

I had ran chkdsk without problem though.The HDD activity LED will lit up when disk is stuck.

Windows Task Manager and Resource Monitor will show 100% disk activity but low transfer rate. (See pic)

The Lenovo BIOS, chipset drive, Renice X3 firmware are all up to date.

I am pretty sure it's not chipset driver, because I also tried MS stock AHCI driver.

It is very annoying because I've had the drive for more than a month and therefore I can't get a refund or so.

Try completely removing the mSATA card from your machine, then carefully reseating and securing it.

Hope that helps,
John