Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
community supermod
erik

Re: ThinkPad X300 keyboard fault

i just popped the 'z' key off of my spare X300 keyboard.   you're missing two tabs on the base of the center plastic part.   what happened to them, i don't know.   something like that shouldn't shear off under normal conditions.

as others have said above, service should cover you on this.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Serial Port
Krecony

Hi,

After one week waiting for answer for my letter i decided to phone Polish Lenovo Tech Support. I'll let you know about results. Actually number is busy all the time :smileysad:

Regards,

Krecony
Paper Tape
steaming

Well I don't know where Erik gets his information but if you read my story on another thread, you'll discover that keys popping off are not covered in Canada either, and since it is the same Tech center as the Us, i would be very surprised that living in the US makes such a big difference.  No matter how you word it, when they see the key and can't put it back they consider it was caused by the consumer's cat walking on it or something, and they don't believe that just typing caused it to come off, maybe because all previous models were built better.  My T30 never lost any keys and I've been typing on it daily for 7 years (and even my cat walked on it!).  They don't even want to send you a free one (consumer replaceable unit) that you install at your own expenses because what they call "physical damage" is not covered by warranty, period.  So I asked, what would be covered for a keyboard, because almost anything could be said to be "customer's fault", and I couldn't get a straight answer.  Basically I was told that if the "experts" at the repair shop look at it and decide it's not a manufacturing defect, it's the customer's fault.  And if they looked at mine (2 days old) and didn't see the little piece of missing plastic under the key as a defect, then nothing will be!

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.  Just insist until they at least send you a free keyboard, and then pay to install it, you'll at least save the amount of the new keyboard.  And now you can tell them you're not alone.  3 people on this board alone have complained about keys popping while typing.  We're not all liars, and we're not all crazy!

Good luck,

M.

Paper Tape
steaming

X300 keyboard keys popping up while typing-Lenovo says it's my fault!

[ Edited ]

I bought an X300 in September.  Next day I'm typing and the letter D pops up, didn't even have time to install anything!  I'm thinking I'm the most unlucky person, but now I read I'm not alone, and that makes me feel even worse, because now I expect it to happen more than once during my computer's life, and that makes me even madder than I already am.  Something so expensive shouldn't break while normal use, plus when it happens, and especially to more than one customer, they should at least repair without charge, and not treat their customers like we are liars.  I've had my T30 fro 7 years now, and it's slow and full now, but it's still working and I never had a problem with it.  IBM used to make good stuff, but now I'm never telling anybody to buy laptop's from them anymore.  Their tech support is so bad.  When they don't transfer you into a blackhole after a half-hour waiting on the line, they give you false information, and not once, not twice but actually 3 times in my case.  It's a long story (6weeks in the making).  After bringing my laptop to a warranty service provider after tech told me it would be repaired under warranty, I get a call saying its 300$, not covered cuz its "physical damage".  I call back and the guy says if I ship it directly to Lenovo they'll take care of it.  But they didn't! and after I refused to pay the 300, they ship it back to me, still missing a key... I eventually speak to a manager the 3rd time, after a month has passed and apparently he's going to approve of a DOA case so that my whole machine will be replaced, because it broke before 21 days......Still a lie.  When I actually called the sales department, they told me this would not be approved, because DOA is only for when the machine won't start when you receive it.  Is it just me, or only incompetent people work for Lenovo?  So nobody knew that even their own depot would deem as "physical damage" and not cover it, and then the tech manager didn't know that when he promised all my troubles were over, he was actually wrong?

I eventually complained so much somebody from customer relations called me and finally explained that I could never get a repair under warranty for my keyboard, because nobody could prove it wasn't my fault.  The women on the phone basically very politely called me a liar, telling me it was pretty impossible for a key to break loose for no reason, just by typing on it, and the "experts" that looked at it (twice now) had decided it wasn't a manufacturing defect.  It's like she never heard it happened before.  I hope enough people post here with this problem that the company realizes just how bad their product is and recall it or something.  So strange too that my laptop also seems to be missing a little piece of plastic, just like somebody else!  Could it be maybe that switching to plastic from metal was not a good idea?  Maybe we're not ready for "lightweight" computers...I wanted to return it althogether, but of course that's impossible, because it's broken by my fault now (of course)!  I am a student and so this was a very expensive thing to buy for me, so when that women told me there was nothing she could do for me, I got very emotional on the phone and my voice was cracking up.  I think she had pity on me and after all that, she is sending me a new keyboard, free of charge, but I have to pay to install, like 100$.  I'm so glad I decided to pay an extra 100$ for extended warranty...two years of nothing instead of one!  And now because other customers had the same trouble, all within a few months, I know it's not the last 100$ I spend on my X300, and next time it'll be 300$ at least. 

I don't get why a company so big doesn't understand that bad press is going to cost them a lot more than 300$.  This is not the only place my message is going up..in both languages I speak too..

M. 

mod note: merged into existing thread.   please do not double-post as it splinters the discussion.   thank you for understanding.

Message Edited by erik on 11-16-2008 12:32 AM
JaneL

Re: X300 keyboard keys popping up while typing-Lenovo says it's my fault!

Why on earth are you paying someone else to install a keyboard?  Just get the right size screwdriver, watch the movie, and do it yourself!

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

community supermod
erik

steaming wrote:

Well I don't know where Erik gets his information...

my experience comes from owning one of the first X300s released to the retail market, two X300 keyboards (US and japanese layouts), and 13+ years of dealing with both IBM and lenovo customer service.   over this time i've had two keyboards replaced under warranty without issue.   each time a keyboard was sent directly to me without many questions and i returned the defective keyboards promptly.

i'm sorry you're having problems with customer service.   i suggest you call and speak with another technician.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Paper Tape
steaming

Well, I've talked to 5 different people at customer service and sales, and all gave me false informations or told me they couldn't do anything for me until I actually cried on the phone and then they agreed to send me a free keyboard, but just after letting me know twice during the phone conversation that this was not supposed to be and that they were doing me a big favor here.  So if that's not bad customer service, what is?  None of the people I talked to proposed that solution of the free keyboard I install myself, even after it had been to their depot and back 2 times and I spoke with 2 different managers and a person from customer relations.

Good for you if you've been lucky with them, and maybe when you had problems with your previous thinkpads the customer service was better.

Yes, I will try to install it myself, but you know what, when I ask that guidelines to install it myself be sent to me with the new keyboard just like it says in the warranty booklet, the women on the phone told me she couldn't do that and that I shouldn't try it myselft because it might be too complicated.  She never said anything about the movie, I had to find it myself.

Whatever your experience, I'm reading posts all over the internet about pieces breaking and lenovo not wanting to do anything about that, not only keyboards, and I'm just really afraid now that this is not the last problem I'm gonna have.  

M. 

Serial Port
Krecony

Thank you steaming for your post. It seems we have the same problem. The difference is I was unable to speak to Polish Lenovo Tech Support second time. Simply line is busy all the time. Nobody answered my email. I'll try next time on Monday.

Regards,

Krecony

Paper Tape
steaming

Try the sales department of Polish Lenovo if you can find that phone number, or the US one even maybe.  They usually answer way more quickly.  Have your order number ready, and ask to speak to a manager, or ask if customer relations can call you back because you have a complaint about their tech department. 
Serial Port
wfaz

Krecony,

Great pics.  I used to pop the keys on and off of my Sony PCs to clean out the various pieces of my lunch that got stuck in there.  I don't think your keyboard is broken - all four of the plastic tabs that grab the key cover look good.  I will bet you just need to very carefully place the key over the hole and push it down until it clicks back into place.  The only time I could not get the key back on is when I lost the key cover.  I hope you get it fixed - these PCs are too expensive to be broken.  Fact is, they're too expensive ... period.  The Lenovo drivers and utilities are not worth $0.03, much less $3,000.

Funny, though, I really like the keyboard.  My problem is that the touchpad scrolling does not work reliably with a lot of apps.

WFaz.