Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
lenox41

ThinkPad x41 WILL NOT BOOT because the prior domain was deleted

Hi,

My question is regarding a ThinkPad X41 Tablet. The domain that the user was always logging into was deleted in the Control Panel 'Network' settings with the ASSUMPTION that this was the correct way to delete the login procedure and just have the ThinkPad be ready for use after booting completed (the login ID and password were required immediately after the machine booted prior to this change).

Now when the machine boots, the User ID still appears, but keying in the previously used password IS STILL REQUIRED and there is NO WAY TO USE THE MACHINE because the domain access is NOW GONE FROM THE MACHINES' SETTINGS. I tried to RESTORE the domain's settings from within the BIOS settings, but the most recently saved settings do NOT include the domain and I DON'T KNOW what those domain settings were.

I removed the battery, keyboard, and then the backup battery as indicated on the Lenovo website. I then booted the machine and allowed the POST to complete before I re-connected the parts mentioned above and then re-booted the machine at that point. It appeared that – by having to enter the date and time in the BIOS settings during the boot process – that the user credentials had indeed been deleted. HOWEVER, the User ID is still required now at boot time and I CANNOT restore the machine to a useable state because even with the correct password entered, the domain is still not in existence. Can anyone please help me with this?

Thanks,

lenox41

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

Re: ThinkPad x41 WILL NOT BOOT because the prior domain was deleted

Welcome to the forum!

Wiping the hard drive and installing a fresh load of OS is likelyu your best bet.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
lenox41

There's data that they need still on that hard drive.  It looks like I'll have to remove it, pop it into an enclosure, and offload the data from the drive that way.  OR, if I get lucky, create a boot disk that I can start the machine with and get the data that way (it used to be so easy to create boot disks with earlier versions of Windows).  I first started working with PCs in 1984 and I've <never> seen anything even remotely similar to this.  Times change, hardware and software certainly does to, and I'm just going to have to accept the fact that the solution here is going to take a lot more time than it ever should have to.

Thanks for your reply,

lenox41 

Maliha

Hi lenox41 and welcome to the forum!

Recently, I saved data from an old PC with corrupt OS through Ubuntu's LiveCD. I didn't even have to install Ubuntu, I just used the "try" option which is equivalent to boot from Ubuntu in previous builds. Since X41 doesn't have an optical drive so you can create bootable USB drive.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Fanfold Paper
KDewd

You could get the local administrator account and log in and pull data off as well. You could also create a new local user and not have to worry about reformatting the machine.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
lenox41

THANKS for the suggestion KDewd, I <might> be getting the actual start-up / recovery disc mailed to me this week! In the meantime, the machine will not fully boot because the domain is gone so I can't do ANYTHING with it, BUT I may not have to worry about that in a few days, and I will be making copies of that disc if I get it.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
lenox41

THANKS for the tip Maliha, I'm going to try this ASAP so I will have a backup AND to become familiar with this process. I <might> be getting the actual start-up / recovery disc mailed to me this week; between these two approaches I'm now very hopeful about getting this machine up and running.  Thanks again, have a great week.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
lenox41

All my attempts at fixing “my” ThinkPad x41 problem have failed. Neither a “full or fast erase” PC Doctor Erase Disk option would work. I tried installing UBUNTU on my hard drive while UBUNTU was running on the IBM DVD “Multi-player Re-Writable disc external drive”. I got this error message (with long numeric coding): Installation failed. The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk: [Errno5] Input/output error. This is often do to a faulty CD/DVD disc or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn a CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the Cds/DVD drive lens, to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment. I CLEANED the lens AND put a new cable on the drive, and AGAIN the same situation happened. I bought a DVD with Windows XP Tablet Edition on it “For distribution only with a new HP PC” but had downloaded all x41 drivers from the Lenovo website to install immediately after the new OS was on the HDD. THAT failed with the error message above (with the same long numeric coding) so I bought a new 40GB Hitachi Travelstar HDD but THAT won't install EITHER, getting the SAME HDD-based error message (there are NO error messages directly regarding the HDDs). Many months ago I bought a new USB DVD drive at Fry's but it WOULD NOT work with this machine; even the SERVICE MANAGER at Fry's could not get it to work with the x41, so I returned it. Help! Does anyone have any ideas regarding this? Thanks!