Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
rayonline

Thinkpad X41 - largest supported HD?

Hi, what is the largest supported hard drive for the X41?  Also, I see online that there are SSDs options, can someone verify this?

Cheers...

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,229
Solutions: 1,311

Re: Thinkpad X41 - largest supported HD?

any size that is currently available for the 1.8 inch pata format. Yes i have seen PATA ssd in 1.8 inch been used in the X41. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
rayonline

Hi again

In terms of assuring compatibility can I just get anyone, I heard that some people have gotten errors installing a non IBM FRU hard drive.  Cheers ...

Is it better to say look for a HD that has been specifically labelled for the X41?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/x41-HDD-Upgrade/m-p/34803

First reply this thread. 

lead_org

okay, i stand corrected.

http://www.thinkpads.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80099

have a look at this thread.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=41568 this talks about ssd option. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Ctrl-Alt-Del
rayonline

Hey thanks for that, 

Now for a different tangent. 

What is the oldest laptop that supports SATA?  Ultraportables are on the $$ side but might look at used. 

Does SATA have this smoke screen?  Is SATA more straight forward that you can just buy a new HD and pop it in without any questions?

Can you also advise me which laptops uses 1.8" SATA?  Is that just the X series (not incl the tablet)?  Everything else is 2.5" sizes?

Thanks so much. 

By the way I have had 3 or the 4 are Thinkpads, my current is a X20 but the screen is dead. 

What's DOS?
AnonomousME

Thinkpad X41 - largest supported HD?

What is the largest supported
lead_org

x60 is the first one to have SATA, this model replaced the X41. I am using the X60 right now to type the response to your question, i have a 2.5 inch Seagate 320 gigs 9.5 mm thick drive in it. Any drive of this dimension would work, i think 750 gig is the largest you can get.

There are 1 tb 2.5 inch drive, but these use 2 platter and is 12.5 mm thick so it wouldn't work in the x60.

I would avoid the X61 with T7xxx CPU... however, if you get the T2xxx CPU on the X60 then it won't run 64 bit OS, since it only supports 32 bit. 

X20, i haven't seen these one before, i had a X23 once and it broke... i should have it some where in the garage. Right now i got a X31, X60, X301, X200t (on order). I also have a X200s but i am going to give it to my cousin for his birthday. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Community SuperMod
bananaman

[ Edited ]

60GB was the largest drive which Lenovo shipped with the X41. There are no larger officially supported drives. 

The drive's physical format is not widely used, and there are only a limited number of third-party plug and play replacements. Some users have managed to adapt various drives to work in the X40/X41. The best chat on that is at thinkpads.com.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!