Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
steffensc
Accepted Solution

Touchpad noises

Hello,

I recently bought an X220 and so far the device meets my expectations.

But there´s one (small) problem I noticed:

When the notebook is closed and I press (with very little force) the cover in the area around the underlying touchpad, I hear the click noise from the touchpad. It doesn't bother me very much, but I keep me asking if this is normal behavior for such an "business device". My previous notebooks (T-Series, HP 8440p hadn't these kind of problems).

Anyone else noticed this problem?

best regards

Christian

Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: Touchpad noises

Maybe it is the speaker. Plug in a headset and listen again.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Blue Screen Again
steffensc

I should mention: The notebook is NOT on! So it couldn't be the speaker ;-)

Guru
ColonelONeill

I've heard that squishing the screen does indeed trigger the clickpad on the X220.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Blue Screen Again
steffensc

So I'm not the only one? I tried google and search this forum - nothing so far.

I guess it´s a common problem?

Token Ring
connmen

I believe that this is not the touchpad that you are hearing.  If you look at the screen bezel, right at the top, there are very small plastic pieces that are presumably designed to not allow the lid to complete close down on the chassis when closed.  The sound you are hearing are these little plastic pieces digging into the plastic chassis when pressure is applied to the lid.

the way I was able to establish this is that I have similar noises when light pressure is applied on a few area of the lid.  I put a thin piece of cellophane between the lid and chassis right in these areas ... Closed the lid, applied pressure, and no sounds.

Blue Screen Again
steffensc

@connmen: You´re right! Some cellophane around these small plastic pieces: And no more noises!

Thanx a lot!

Token Ring
connmen

Glad to have helped.  As to a permanent solution, let me know what you try using, if anything.

I myself just discovered this issue too in the last day but am travelling for work and am not anywhere where I can pop into an office supply store and come up with a solution.

I am thinking that I will buy little rubber self-stick pads, like they fit in front of the LED screws and just cut them to size.  

In my case, every single one of those black plastic pieces on the bezel is digging into my x220's chassis to the degree that after I come up with a solution, I may also purchase a replacement palmrest from IBM parts.  

It's annoying and I am surprised it feels as though there are only a few of us experiencing this, but I like everything else about this laptop.