Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
m0biusace

Trackpoint BUTTON differences between the X220 and X201

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Has anyone noticed that the X220 trackpoint buttons have substantially less travel than the X201's? I find my thumb starts to hurt after half an hour of using the X220, wheras I could use my X201 all day without a problem. It's gotten so bad that i've decided to keep the X201 and sell the X220 (w/ 128GB SSD, IPS screen, message if interested ;D).  Sometimes using a mouse is not possible, and the health of my thumb is important. 

Are there differences in the travel/resistance of the button between any of the keyboard FRUs?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

Re: Trackpoint BUTTON differences between the X220 and X201

i have not notice this with my X220 and X200/X201t keyboard.

I do find this is a problem with my X1 keyboard.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
WWAN
Puppy

[ Edited ]

Yes, I feel it is well. Moreover there are noticeable differences in X220 keyboard FRUs.

My original X220 keyboard 45N2149 was nearly as perfect as the best ever one - X31 keyboard. Unfortunately the middle trackpoint button stopped to work in few days (see pictures here http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-keyboard-broken-middle-trackpoint-button/... ) that I got replacement from Lenovo, but different FRU 45N2219.

The new 45N2219 keyboard:

- is softer than original one

- the trackpoint button sticks out above the keyboard buttons caps way too much and can not be pushed back down. This is probably source of the unpleasant trackpoint feel.

- is noisier than original one

- Backspace and Return (big square one shaped) keys started to make horrible squeaky noises in few hours. Lenovo refused to replace the keyboard again because of this so I decided to fix it myself. I poped off both keys and found that the hinge points weren't greased at all. I put missing teflon-based grease to both keys.

- key caps does not seem to be perfectly attached to the key mechanism so they have a "flying" feel when you are pressing the key cap

I would rather have the old keyboard FRU than this one. If I had known that there are such differences in X220 keyboards I would rather try to live with broken trackpoint middle button.

I still think about buying a new keyboard because there is a local service parts reseller that is able to deliver the exact keyboard FRU you want. On the other hand I feel a bit stupid of doing this considering I've paid for 4 yrs + Protection warranty upgrade ...

Fanfold Paper
m0biusace

Puppy wrote:

The new 45N2219 keyboard:

- the trackpoint button sticks out above the keyboard buttons caps way too much and can not be pushed back down. This is probably source of the unpleasant trackpoint feel.

I'm afraid you're a little confused. I'm talking about the trackpoint left, right, and middle buttons having substantially less travel. Not talking about the trackpoint itself.

Now i'm using FRU 45N2141. Anyone else with a *US* keyboard want to tell me their keyboard FRU if they feel like their trackpoint buttons feel identical to a previous X200/X201 they owned? 

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

[ Edited ]

m0biusace wrote:

Has anyone noticed that the X220 trackpoint buttons have substantially less travel than the X201's?

There's no discernable difference for me.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Fanfold Paper
m0biusace

billbolton wrote:

m0biusace wrote:

Has anyone noticed that the X220 trackpoint buttons have substantially less travel than the X201's?

There's no discernable difference for me.

Cheers,

Bill

What keyboard FRU do you have? 

WWAN
Puppy

m0biusace wrote:
I'm afraid you're a little confused. I'm talking about the trackpoint left, right, and middle buttons having substantially less travel. Not talking about the trackpoint itself.

I see. No. I haven't noticed any difference of trackpoint buttons between these two keyboard FRUs.