Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
nicbex

UEFI bios question

I've read the FAQ from Mark_Lenovo concerning UEFI in the current Thinkpads. What it doesn't answer is, will the X220 bios be updated and legacy compatibility removed? If not, I see no purpose in this semi-transition to UEFI and it definitely is a false advertising for us hoping for faster boot time.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: UEFI bios question

Legacy won't be removed for at least 3 more years.  Believe it or not, most of our customers are still running XP, which makes removing legacy support impossible at this time.  There's no false advertising, I don't know where you got that idea.  All of the fast boot configurations for T420s and other models are using legacy BIOS. 

Punch Card
nicbex

According to the FAQ, pure UEFI will probably come this fall: "Those plans are still being made, but probably during late 3Q/2011, and probably only on certain new models that are released after that time (not T420/T520/X220/W520).  By the time Ivy Bridge products ship in 2012, all preloads should be GPT-based.".

Still, there are also a lot of us using Windows 7, give us some love aswell as the ones being reactionary. There's nothing hindering from offering a pure UEFI solution for us demanding it.

And yes, Lenovo has been making it a big deal advertising EE 2.0 by using custom UEFI-bioses. 

http://www.lenovoblogs.com/lenovofiles/2011/01/26/lenovo-enhanced-experience-2-10-second-pc-boot/ 

http://www.lenovoblogs.com/lenovofiles/2011/01/17/3-2-1-boot-and-the-winner-is/

Straight from the info page for EE 2.0.

Punch Card
johansson

Will this be available to the older X201? Would love to load UEFI as I don't use legacy OSes!

Punch Card
nicbex

It isn't even available for X220 so don't hold your breath :smileysad:

Punch Card
johansson

That blows. They should definitely backport it. Useful feature for those with modern OSes. :smileyhappy: