Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Tripple

Undock Problem with Lenovo X60 and X6 Ultrabase

Hy,

First, sorry about my english - its not so good because i am from austria.

In my company, we have problems with the Lenovo X60 in combination with the X6 Ultrabase included the DVD Slimdrive.
When i was pressing the Button "Undock" at the XP Startmenu - the following message was displayed:
"You cannot eject your computer because one of the devices in the docking station, 'Primary IDE Channel', cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it."

I don't think, that a program is accessing at this time - i have all 3rd party sevices stopped but the message still appears.

Thanks so much for your help!

Best Regards, Tripple
What's DOS?
tourniquet5

Re: Undock Problem with Lenovo X60 and X6 Ultrabase

I am having the same problem with the Lenovo X61 and the X6 Ultrabase included with the DVD slimdrive. It initially worked fine undocking, but about a week later it got the error, "You cannot eject your computer because one of the devices in the docking station, 'Primary IDE Channel', cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it." I rebuilt the tablet and undocked correctly for about a week, but then started getting the same error message.
802.11n
icantux

[ Edited ]

Hi fellas,

Welcome to the forums - both of you! :smileyhappy:

Believe it or not, this is a common occurence in both XP and Vista. The issue is that either operating system is still "polling" the device (either ultrabay HDD or the ultrabay CD/DVD drive). As long as XP/Vista think they're accessing the drives (or some part of the operating system is still accessing the ultrabay device), the user will not be able to successfully "undock" or "remove" the device. This happened to me as well whenever I have a harddrive in an ultrabay adapter plugged into the dock for my X61 X6 base.

The way to fix that is to find out what process (either in XP or Vista) is still "using" the device (even though you're not using it, the operating system thinks it's still using it because some process didn't shut down properly). So it's a matter of snooping around to find the errant process.

I'd suggest one of two utilities to help you figure out what process is causing the problem. 

1) "Process Explorer" to see what processes are running which may be actively "using" the ultrabay device.... 

2) "Process Monitor"  to monitor which system DLL is still "communicating with" or hogging the ultrabay device.

Both utilities (free) will work in either XP or Vista and are invaluable to diagnose these kinds of problems. They certainly helped me in finding out what the problem was... turns out it was an errant DLL that continually accessed the external HDD - XP didn't unload the DLL properly and I couldn't undock.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Message Edited by icantux on 07-04-2008 03:22 PM
What's DOS?
tourniquet5

I finally figured out what my issue was. I had some HP Software on the tablet for a HP Scanner. Once I removed it, I was unable to undock perfectly fine without getting the "You cannot eject your computer because one of the devices in the docking station, 'Primary IDE Channel', cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it." No idea why the HP software was causing the problem. So, if you have the same problem i'd suggest removing a program that might use a usb connection or something along that line. I found icantux 2 programs too hard for me to use.
What's DOS?
davolson01

I had the same problem with undocking my X60.  I called IBM support and they told me just to completely shut down my computer and then eject it by the handle on the left side of the docking station.  I did not know that you could do that... I thought the power had to be on and you had to have the green "OK" arrow lit to eject.  

But you can also eject it just by shutting it down completely!  NONE of the included instructions show that; all of them show having to push the button to change the red NO sign to a green OK sign on that left side.  It would have helped to let us know this!

Shutting down is easier than trying to figure out what is causing the conflict and not permitting me to eject the machine when the power is on. 

Punch Card
nickleics

Thanks for the advice in the above thread.  I had this problem for a long time with my X61 docked onto an X6 Ultrabase.  This is the process I followed to fix the problem.

0.  Boot up your machine as normal, open up your normal programs.

1.  Downloaded Process Explorer (link above).

2.  Open Process Explorer.

3.  Try to undock the machine.  It should fail, as normal.  Close the error message.

4.  Now, start closing applications one at a time.  After each application, repeat step 3.

5.  Once all of the applications are closed, start closing the remaining processes, one at a time.

For me, I found the problem was a program I had running called "Voice 220" for my Skype phone.  When I quit that, everything undocked sweet as a nut.  Always worked since.  Genius.

Blue Screen Again
aderkon

[ Edited ]

these are a great couple of utilities. But in order to use them for this purpose I need more information.

I ran Process Explorer and there were dozens and dozens of System DLLs running. How can I tell which ones are accessing my CD/DVD-RW drive? Would it be the path?

I tried the Process Monitor route but after I shut down every program I could guess was causing a problem, there were some left that I thought I shouldn't shut down.

I'd like to use Process Explorer to figure out which processes are actually using the device. I don't see a way to search or even list columns in order, which is a pretty big shortcoming. But if I knew what to look for I'd have a shot at figuring out what's accessing the device.

The filter's kind of confusing to me too. I'd like to be sure I'm seeing what I need to see. I've seen a lot of C: paths but nothing else that seems to be one of the other drives.

UPDATE: somewhere else I saw the advice to use Device Manager to shut down the drive, and let the operating system reinstall it. I had to restart in the process. When I did, and tried to eject from the base, I got the same message only now it was a printer port, LPT1 I think, that it claimed was running, which unsurprisingly is not true. The next time I tried undocking, it was back to the DVD/CD-RW drive being cited as the problem.