Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
ErikEngbrecht

Vista recovery CDs not working

A virus completely hosed my X200 laptop.  I'm trying to do a bare metal restore from the Vista recovery disks that came with the laptop.  The disk boots a seems to be going ok, then it hits a screen a just sits there for a minute or so.  The DVD drive isn't doing anything and the HD isn't doing anything.  Then it just reboots.  If I leave the disk in it will repeat this cycle over and over again, so it's not that it's doing some sort of prep on the first round.

Is there a way to fix this or are my CDs bad?  I just removed them from their packaging and the look like they are in pristine condition.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Re: Vista recovery CDs not working

did you use the Rescue and Recovery disc 1 of 1 to start the process, or did you use the Vista Recovery Media?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
ErikEngbrecht

I assumed the disk labeled "Start Recovery Disc" and with the #1 printed on it starts the recovery process.  But I also tried the disc labeled "Operating System Recovery Disc Windows Vista Business SP 1" with a #2  on it and it would not boot.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

did you change the boot order in the bios to boot from the optical drive first?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

[ Edited ]

ErikEngbrecht, welcome to the forum,

having read your posts you seem to have been doing everything correctly. As your system is hanging after booting from disc #1, I'd suggest copying that disc and trying to boot from the copy. If the same occurs contact support and ask them to send you another set.

Alertanitively, have you tried booting to the service partition? Press the blue ThinkVantage button when booting, when you see the message "To interrupt.....". This should then offer you the possibility of selecting F11 to diagnose or recover your system.

Yet another alternative would be to create your own recovery discs, assuming your system still works, these will be created from the service partition and should not be influenced by the virus infection.

Hope this helps

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog