Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
gotime

What would you do-crack in my new X300?

All,

So I waited with the greatest of anticipation and after a month, today I finally received my X300.

I pulled it out of the box with glee to inspect it and low and behold there is a crack in the exterior case on the back on the upper right corner and bottom right corner of the Ethernet port just to the left of the wireless on/off and the case material right above the USB port is bowed out.  I haven’t even started er up yet and am not sure if I should.  I tried calling Lenovo and somehow I got patched into technical support to which they tried to have me send it in for repairs.  I told them I would get back to them tomorrow after I can get a hold of sales. 

My question for the think tank is what really are my options? 

What would you do?

Thanks for any input    
Token Ring
LukeD

Re: What would you do-crack in my new X300?

[ Edited ]
Return it.

Can you post a picture for us?

The reason that I ask is that I had thought I had some defects on my T61, which had turned out to be design features. I am not saying that your crack is a design feature, but I am sure that it would help Lenovo identify the problem.

It is pretty surprising that an X300 could be cracked given the packaging, in which my X300 had been very secure.

Message Edited by LukeD on 04-15-2008 09:58 PM
MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**
Fanfold Paper
Thecla

I don't know Lenovo's formal policy on this, but I would insist on returning it and getting a replacement. Just be polite and persistant about having received a defective item, and don't let tech support, or anyone else, talk you into a repair. In my experience, nothing good comes of accepting a defective new notebook instead of getting it replaced right away.
Serial Port
Bajpai

If I were you, I wouldn't hesiate and return the product either immediately for exchange with a new one or full refund.

The condition that you describe is not exactly cosmetic damage. So I don't see any reason why Lenovo would hesiate to exchange the machine with a brand new one. They should be able to claim from the transit insurance.

A broken laptop definitely qualifies for a defective laptop. Do share your experience on the forum -- particularly good experiences that you have with the manufacturer.

Sushil

All,

After some phone calls I spoke with a supervisor who informed me that they would send me return authorization numbers and shipping tags so I could return the damaged lap top.  I would have to order and charge a new lap top which they would configure and price the exact same as the last one.  Unfortunately, I will have two lap tops on my credit card until they credit me on the damaged.  The good news is I have a new lap top on the way.  The bad news is now I get to wait another month for it to get here.

thanks for all your input