Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
gurachn
Accepted Solution

Where is my recovery media

I installed an M-Sata SSD as the boot drive, using Acronis to clone C:

My original 320 GB HDD had all the same files so I deleted the recovery partition on the SSD to save space (Intel 310 only 80GB)

Today I got a 16GB USB and tried to make it a bootable recovery drive, but I got aCreate Recovery Media error message saying "The files required by this Program can not be found."

My Lenovo_Recovery drive now is now G: and it has about 8.04 GB of used space (out of 9.76GB), so I am hoping that all the recovery files are still intact, but the program can't find them.

Is this correct?

And if so how can I deal with this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: Where is my recovery media

[ Edited ]

The recovery media have to be created by the users themselves. The data are stored in the recovery-partition but you had deleted it. The used data on G: seem to be the Rescue and recovery backups. - I hope, that i'm wrong.

Attach the 320GB HDD back into your thinkpad and create the recovery-DVDs from that HDD.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Punch Card
gurachn

Where is my recovery media??

Thanks Mornsgrans, but I have a few questions.

I cloned the contents of my original HDD onto the new SSD.

I then deleted the recovery partition on the SSD to save space, but didn't touch the original so I assume it still contains the R&R backups.

The 320GB HDD is still attached though all the drive letters have changed. Do I need to remove the SSD and reset the original drive letters to create the recovery media?

Surely there must be some simpler way to access that data?

Is there some way to redirect the recovery creation program to look for the data in the new location?

Or perhaps its possible to reassign the Lenovo_Recovery drive to the original drive letter? Can someone tell me what that was?

Strangely, when I click on the Lenovo_Recovery (G:smileyhappy: drive I get a message that "This folder is empty", even though properties tells me it has over 8GB of date in it.

Punch Card
gurachn

Re: Where is my recovery media??

Surely someone who installed an m-Sata ssd has had this same issue?
Can anyone at least tell me what the drive letter of the original Lenovo_Recovery drive was? Perhaps if I reassign it, it will find the needed files.
Much thanks for any help
Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: Where is my recovery media??

[ Edited ]

gurachn schrieb:

Strangely, when I click on the Lenovo_Recovery (G:smileyhappy: drive I get a message that "This folder is empty", even though properties tells me it has over 8GB of date in it.

The folders with the recovery - files are hidden.
In Windows - Explorer:

- Tools

- Folder-options

- "View"-tab

- de-select "Hide protected system files (recommended)"

For creating the Recovery Media you should reorganize the drive letters to their defaults like at the first startup.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Punch Card
gurachn

Thanks Mornsgrans,

I don't remember what the the default letter for the Lenovo_Recovery drive was.

Could you tell me?

Thanks

Punch Card
gurachn

The problem was in fact that the Lenovo_Recovery drive had been renamed.
Setting back to Q: allowed me to create the recovery media without problem.
What's DOS?
fjrohlf

I am having a similar problem but the partition still has the drive letter Q so I need another solution. The partition is mostly full but when I used Windows explorer it does not have any visible files (and yes I do have the option on to view system files and folders).

Guru
ColonelONeill

I've heard of a few cases where the drive letter is mysteriously reassigned to something other than Q:... Not sure if there's a pattern.

@fjrohlf,
You can try showing hidden and system files:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1099/688/1377, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Paper Tape
Davidhs

Whoops! ... Something has clobbered my formatting rendering my post illegible.  My security controls over scripts from third parties will be responsiible.

Much encouraged and helped by previous discussions in this forum, I have successfully installed an Intel 80GB SSD alongside the spinning 500GB disk.  I restored from my (previously created) factory recovery DVDs (boot plus three for those worred about how many); booted into the new Win 7 system on the SSD and ran the Intel Toolbox utilities to check that everything was set up as it should be.

I deleted the SSD copy of the Recovery partition, leaving the spinning disk copy and then I switched the drive letter of the latter to Q.

I rebooted and next I ran the installation of the Lenovo Enhanced Backup & Restore.  It ran for a short while and then abended with the message: "Error 25013: Error obtaining the Rescue  and Recovery environment drive letter".

What is going on here?

Disk Management tells me I have the following partitions:
Disk 0: Sys_Drv 1.46GB assigned as D:, my data partition 44GB E: , Lenovo Recovery 15.6GB Q:
Disk 1: Sys_Drv 1.46 GB no drive letter and so not visible in Win explorer, Windows 7 73.6GB C:

- What is the purpose in life of the Sys_Drv partition? Is it anything to do with UEFI - Unified Extensible Firmware Interface?
- I surely don't need both. Presumably I could delete the spinning disk copy as presumkably only the SSD copy does anything?  

Thanks