Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
hombreingwar

Wifi issue with X220 (intel wifi card); It stops connecting to a router after 3 hours

[ Edited ]

I experience the following problem with a new one week old Lenovo X220 built with Intel Advanced-N 6205:

After 3-5 hours it disconnects from a wifi router and would not be able to connect to it until I reboot the router.

It happened the first time on Friday, I was connected to our Verizon FIOS router and after 5 hours I lost connection and won't be able to connect for 2 hours trying every possible thing until I rebooted  the router, what I didn't have to do with countless number of other laptops/cell phones.

Now X220 loses wifi connection every 3 hours and won't be able to connect until the router is restarted. All other devices in a house work perfectly fine, my roommates probably already hate me for rebooting the router.

Router: Actiontec M1424WR (Verizon FIOS)

Other devices which were and still are able maintain connections with this router for many hours w/o similar problem:

- my old Dell Latitude E6400

- my Samsung Captivate cell phone

and bunch of other HP laptops, macbooks etc.

What I tried and what did not help:

- rebooting X220

- turning X20 off/on

- installing the latest drivers for Intel 6205 card for the Intel website

- installing/uninstalling Intel Wifi tools and Access Connections

- restoring from a backup (not a complete factory setting restore)

- setting DNS/IPs manually for IPv4 and turning off IPv6

I tried to collect some logging with netsh tracing and it only tells that the driver disconnects during acquisition.

Some clue I discovered the minute ago:

after removing the wireless profile and trying to connect to the router, Win 7 doesn's ask for a WEP key until the router is rebooted, looks like the issue is on a very low level, on the initial stages of a connection establishment.

What was not tried:
- I didn't have access to any other router right now to try it out. 

NOTE: For now I do not have access to router to upgrade it or to change settign, can only plug off/on power.

UPDATE: I believe it is getting worse and this time X220 didn't manage to stay connected even 20 minuts and I had to reboot my router again.

Blue Screen Again
hombreingwar

Re: Wifi issue with X220 (intel wifi card); It stops connecting to a router after 3 hours

[ Edited ]

When it is reproducible in Win 7, went to Ubuntu Live CD and everything works there.

So the problem is either inside:

- router

- Win 7 Intel 6205 drivers including shipped and the latest one

I don't think it is that low level though as I thought, as in Win 7 it tries to reconnect each time disconnecting during "Identifying Network" stage, and setting IP, gateway and DNS manually do not help.

UPDATE: I was able to update Verizon FIOS router to the latest firmware and switched it from WEP to WPA just in case.

What's DOS?
markjen

Re: Wifi issue with X220 (intel wifi card); It stops connecting to a router after 3 hours

We have two X220 laptops with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wifi chips and have experienced wifi connectivity issues. One runs ubuntu, the other runs Windows 7. Both laptops are configured with 2x2 antennas since we want the built-in webcam.

At the office, we have a Ruckus solution (3 APs + a controller). I use the X220 on Win7 and at home I use an Airport Extreme. Generally, I've seen spotty wifi performance on my X220 in various scenarios compared to my other computers (Macbook Air 13", Macbook Pro 15").

Has anyone else been having poor wifi performance? Any particular settings to try?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

i have the same wifi adapter, but there is no drop out or anything like that.

You may like to try,

reupdate the driver, update the bios, and finally if all fails send it to repair and let them try to replicate the problem.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
ohjack

I have this exact same problem. And like you, it is getting worse. Please post if you find a solution. thanks!

Punch Card
breandan

Also having this issue, X220 4286-CTO with Intel Advanced-N 6205. Updated drivers, chipset, BIOS and still having intermittent connectivity issues.