Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
BobOrr

Re: Wireless connection on new X61s always needs manual disconnect/connect to work

Hi:
    I have what seems to be a generally similar problem. I have an X61 with Vista and Intel WiFi4965AGN. I also have Access Connection on it. On booting, it nearly always connects to the wireless access point. However, if it hybernates, it will never see the access point again. In this situation, using Access Connections shows no access points, while my XP X31 sees them fine. Actually I also have a Lenovo desk top with Vista and a cheap wrieless card... and it also sees the access point.... works like a charm in fact. To go back to the X61. There are some open access points it just will not connect to. Actually it does connect, but never associates. The diagnostic claims that the DHCP server will not provide an IP. Many people seem to suggest de-installing Acess Connections. I vaguely remember this did not work on my X31.... is this the solution? ...i.e. remove Access Connectins... seems a shame.

Bob
What's DOS?
menton

Re: Wireless connection on new X61s always needs manual disconnect/connect to work

There does seem to be a problem with X61s intermittently dropping connections, but whoever told you to remove Access Connections because it conflicts with XP is ignorant.  That's not the case;  Lenovo would not ship units with such a blatent conflict.
Token Ring
bylund

menton wrote:
There does seem to be a problem with X61s intermittently dropping connections, but whoever told you to remove Access Connections because it conflicts with XP is ignorant.  That's not the case;  Lenovo would not ship units with such a blatent conflict.

The problem is the same for X61 (without the s) too and it is quite annoying. I have had my X61 since August and was hoping one of the many updates to BIOS, drivers, Access Connections etc would solve the problem. But it seems Lenovo aren't interested in having this solved - nothing has changed despite the numerous updates.

Per Bylund
Paper Tape
BobOrr

There i s no doubt in my mind that the problem is with Access Connections. If I connect using the Vista "tool", it works faultlessly. In the past week I have tested 6 wireless access points. Access Connections has failed to connect to all of them. Using the Vista connection, all have been successful connections. Also the reconections after hybernation have worked fine. If anyone has this problem, I recommend NOT using Access Connections.

Bob
802.11n
icantux

Hi fellas,

Access  Connections is a very good program for those that require to manage multiple networking access solutions (different types WLAN/WAN/WWAN, domain, etc), however, it's overkill for the average user that requires quick, easy access to one or a few APs (wifi access points). Native wifi network controllers/management software will work more smoothly and offer much better connectivity than third party software. Don't get me wrong, Access Connections is a great peice of software, but as mentioned, it's just too much for even the above-average user.

Possible solutions:

For Intel wifi cards: 2200BG, 3945ABG, 4965AGN

If you folks are running XP/2000/Vista and using an Intel card (regardless of the model, i.e., 2200BG, 3945ABG, 4965AGN), then I'd strongly suggest to use Intel's Wireless Networking Manager.

It's freely downloadable, easy to set up with as many options as Access Connections yet it will not interfere with the MS XP wifi manager, which is rather cumbersome and bug-ridden (in fact, the Intel wifi Manager will disregard the MS wifi manager and prevent it from overriding your settings). Give that a try and see if it helps you to maintain a stable wifi connection. Make certain to fully uninstall Access Connections before installing the Intel Wifi Manager.

For Atheros-based cards: Thinkpad a/b/g/, Thinkpad a/b/g/n

There's a utility Atheros provides, which is called the "Atheros Client Utility" (install only the Client Utility, not the drivers from this package!!!) - again, like the Intel Wifi Manager, Atheros Client Utility supercedes Microsoft's own "wifi manager", does not conflict with it and does a much better job at hardware management than other third party utilities. Keep in mind that Atheros has not yet provided a Vista-compatible version of its software - it will run only on XP. As with the solution above, make certain to fully uninstall Access Connections before installing the Atheros Client Utility.

Hope this helps!
Steve

Paper Tape
BobOrr

Re: Access Connections. Well, as I say.. I am unable to get it to work reliably. If I move to an new access point, AC usually sees it and starts negotiating  a connection. It fails with, I estimate, 90% probability. The diagnostic is always " DHCP server has failed to provide IP". If I then search for wireless access points using the AC tool (the one with the map and little things which look like churches..:-)) it finds "no wireless networks". If I then use the MS tool, it just connects immediately. 100% of the time. I am not without some basic knowledge, and I spent the best part of a week trying to debug Access Connections and make it work. I couldn't. So I'm rather skeptical about calling it "great software". Clearly there is something in there which is not obvious to me ( or enyone else I've discussed it with). The best I could call it it is "great software, if you can figure out how to make it work".

Bob
802.11n
icantux

Go ahead and try the solution I posted above, you'll see a big difference.