Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
annac917

Wireless keeps dropping on X61

I have an X61 running on XP Pro and using Intel 3945ABG.  I've had this laptop for a year and it's worked wonderfully up until a week or two ago.  My wireless connection frequently disconnects and then reconnects and then at times, it completely disconnects from my wireless network.  I never know when it's going to disconnect either as it happens randomly and all throughout the day.  I thought it was a router issue at first but I took out my old laptop (Dell Inspiron 1150) and placed it next to my X61.  Although I noticed a slight drop in speed, the wireless never disconnected once while the X61's disconnected at least twice in 30 minutes.

I searched through old posts and updated the wireless driver as suggested by downloading the driver from Intel.  I don't use Access Connections to manage my wireless.

Is there anything else I can try?  It's really a hassle having the internet cut out while I'm trying to talk to friends on instant messenger or I'm trying to do work. 

-Anna

Ctrl-Alt-Del
crickert

Re: Wireless keeps dropping on X61

Hi Anna,

try to use "ThinkVantage Access Connections" for your wireless network (at least for diagnosis purposes):

With this program, it's easy to check and log your connection...

Start -> ThinkVantage -> Access Connections -> Tools -> Diagnosis... ->

1. Connection status -> Test connection...
  2. Event log -> Activate log (-> Show log)

After a disconnection has occured, check the log for problems... and eventually post it here.

:smileywink:

If you really don't want to use Access Connections, check the system's logs for problems:

Start->Run->"eventvwr.msc"->[OK]

Look at the log files especially for applications and system: yellow exclamation marks and red crosses could point to problems ... just double click on one entry to check for details!

:smileyhappy:

Greetings, Christian

802.11n
sipp11

This is the newest driver from Lenovo (or intel?) [2009/01/05] you may like to give it a try.

When things occur randomly, it's just so hard to say what causes and how to solve it. Looking at log file like Christian might give you a clue to solve this.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
cward

[ Edited ]
I had the exact same problem on my X60s.  It would work fine for a little, then just drop the signal, then sometimes pick it up agian, then drop it again. I finally fixed it by opening ThinkVantage Access Connections (Fn + F5), clicking Open Access Connections, then I went to Configure > Global Connections and turned off “Enable automatic wireless LAN radio control”. I haven't had a single problem since.
Message Edited by cward on 01-20-2009 09:29 AM
Paper Tape
annac917

I just want to say that I fixed the issue and thanks for the help! :smileyhappy:
Paper Tape
mactdcny

Hi, I have an X60 and my wireless radio keeps on turning off after 5-10 seconds.  I have already tried the "(Fn + F5), Open Access Connections, Configure, Global Connections and turning off “Enable automatic wireless LAN radio control".  Is there anything esle I can do? 

Thanks!

dsp
SCSI Port
dsp

only a guess...

System Update suggested me to update my Wifi adapter (11a/b/g from Atheros) on my X60 driver to a  release 7.4.2.134. I had a lot of trouble with my wifi beginning around that time. I first tought its related to the heavy Wifi "pollution" - I always receive around 16-18 networks at the same time at home, lots of interference. But when I was in a much less "polluted" environment and had the similar behaviour, I got the suspicion, its related to my new Wifi driver.

Interestingly enough, System Update later suggested to download the latest  Wifi driver release 5.something. I was confused, but I think going back to the suggested 5.3.0.85 solved the issue.

Needless to say, that System Update is again suggesting to "upgrade" to 7.4.2.132 again. I will refrain from that, reading your experience.

What's DOS?
litossm

Same issue. Lenovo X61 Tablet.

I was having the same problem with Windows XP.

I moved to ubuntu and I am having the same problem.

Moreover, I have changed the router too. Same issue.

Wireless connection disconnects and reconnects randomly.

It is pretty annoying. My laptop is not a laptop anymore, I have to keep the cable connected.

3 more computers in the same network. No issues with the others (Lenovo T42 works fine)

There is definitely a bug there.

What's DOS?
sm3010

I have  exactly the same problem with my X61 running Windows Vista Business. The wireless keeps dropping for no reason... and it takes several manual connection efforts.

Help please!