Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
dhackett
Accepted Solution

X1 C Touch: Screen - protective plastic sheet affixed to it?

[ Edited ]

it's great, no problems with the touch screen like some folks reported. 

However...it appears as though the screen has a protective plastic sheet affixed to it.  It's most noticeable around the mic and cam, where holes appear to exist.  But here's the thing: I can find no documentation saying that this should be removed, and it's not easy to pry the sheet off at the corners (in fact, I've had zero luck, but haven't tried much because I don't want to damage anything).

So here's the question: do I keep trying to pry the sheet off or assume it's part of the design?  Does the sheet even exist?

Happy to answer questions about the laptop (it's the i7/8GB model, with the Intel 240GB drive).

Only annoyance is that the sales guy who helped with the order added the wrong slim AC adaptor to the order. 

Thanks!

Dan

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

x220 i7 (4286-CTO)
X1 Carbon Touch (i7/8GB)
Punch Card
dhackett

Re: Just received X1 Carbon Touch and....

Also, I do recall reading awhile back that some people who had their screens replaced (perhaps on the x230?) had screens returned with a similar cover...

x220 i7 (4286-CTO)
X1 Carbon Touch (i7/8GB)
Tout1108G
Topics: 0
Kudos: 121
Solutions: 57

Re: Just received X1 Carbon Touch and....

[ Edited ]

Hey there dhackett,

I don't believe there is a protective plastic sheet or anything of that nature that needs to be removed. I would not continue attempts to remove until after we can confirm one way or another. If you are able, can you take a picture of what your looking at specifically and post it for us?

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to dig to see if there is anything I can find out for you. Thank you dhackett!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Tout1108G

Re: Just received XX Carbon Touch and....

[ Edited ]

From what I can tell from other images, there does appear to be "holes" where the microphone and camera are. So this may be as designed, typically when there is a "film or sheet" that covers a screen when it first arrives, it's typically off-colored, and usually very noticeable and comes off with ease. Since you have tried something similar with what you are seeing, I would be inclined to say that it is as it should be. Still look forward to what image you can provide us, so I can compare what we are seeing. Thanks dhackett.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Punch Card
dhackett

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the help!  I have attached two photos...it's hard to show the layer, but it is exactly what you described.

As you said, it looks obvious, but it does not come off easily: there's no corner tab to tug, the thing is totally flush at the edges.

Again, thanks!

Link to picture

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

x220 i7 (4286-CTO)
X1 Carbon Touch (i7/8GB)
Tout1108G

Dhackett,

When looking at a white page, is the screen off colored? Comparing it to this image here, would you say that it is similar?

Punch Card
dhackett

Thank you for the ongoing help!  If I open up a blank sheet in MS Word, for example, it's white but has a slight shimmer over it.  This could be a screendoor effect that some people mention, but I still feel like it is due to a plastic sheet.  The surface also feels more like the plastic on my x220 than the gorilla glass that was used on the first X series of laptops.  I think this screen is plastic, though? 

Sorry, I'm trying to be as helpful as I can- I'm sure this will be a common question once the laptops roll out more!

x220 i7 (4286-CTO)
X1 Carbon Touch (i7/8GB)
Tout1108G

[ Edited ]

Absolutely dhackett! To clarify, when you ran your finger over the camera and microphone spots it clearly has a gap or "hole" (depending on where you are) where the "film" doesn't cover. Additionally, the film is flush with all edges, has no overlap at all? When you first received the machine was there any film that you removed at all from the LCD? The last laptop I purchased had a blue cling protective film that covered the screen that I had to remove.

Looking at the image that I linked, when you scroll into the camera area, is it similar?

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

dhackett,

Thanks for the photos and the excellent question.  I agree with you that others may ask this too...

I borrowed an X1 Carbon touch from another employee and do see what you are talking about - there seems to be a protective film over the LCD that goes all the way to the edge of the screen except for about the width of a staple.  You can see circular cut outs for the 2 mics and the camera.

This should not be peeled off.

The official Lenovo position is that this should not be removed.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Tout1108G

[ Edited ]

That is good to hear, so dhackett you should be good to go!

Congratulations on your X1 Carbon Touch! I've had the opportunity to play around on the X1 Carbon some and really enjoyed it. When I go back to my regular laptop it just isn't the same, I've developed some laptop envy!

Thank You for being a part of the Lenovo Community dhackett!