Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
karlmoor

X1 WWAN and LTE

Hi,

i have a quick question. Which WWAN modul is originally installed in a thinkpad x1 (1294)? I found out that the modul is produced by Ericsson. Does the modul support LTE or only 3G? Can a X1 be upgraded with a LTE card later without updating the BIOS?

cheers,

patrick

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: X1 WWAN and LTE

Hello Patrick,

The WAN card integrating some wireless WAN technologies, such as 1xEV-DO, HSPA, 3G or GPRS.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Lenovo Staff
LANOgre

3G only.

It is unlikely that a new module (most likely to be released with newer system coming later this year) would be backwards compatible to older systems. It would require new FCC certifications for existing systems.

But since there has not been any official news yet, we don't know for a fact yet, so we may be pleasantly surprised.

If you can't wait, most carriers will offer a USB solution.

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

karlmoor wrote:

I found out that the modul is produced by Ericsson. Does the modul support LTE or only 3G?

It does not have LTE support.

LTE implementations to date are all over the place in terms of the wireless bands actually used.  Its going to take a while for LTE to settle down around some reasonable global implementations standards.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Fanfold Paper
karlmoor

Thanks to all of you guys. Very nice and good replies :smileyhappy:

Well one question is left for me; what is the exact name for the original x1's (1294) ericsson modul? I tried to google it and information on the X1 actually is super rare yet. 

cheers,

patrick

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi karlmoor!

The supported WWAN cards are listed in the Hardware Maintenance Manual.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!