Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
MarcXW

X1- keys not working

Hello, I am having trouble with my X1 keyboard, after startup, some keys will not work from a period from one to three minutes, these include "backspace". "enter", "fn", and sometimes even the trackpoint's mouse keys won't work for a while. It can also occur at random moments while using the keyboard. It can be very frustrating while typing. I think it might be a software issue as the laptop sometime freezes when I try to close a process, and I have to close it manually via the task manager. Usually, when that happens, the same keyboard keys stop working. Has anybody else ever had this problem?

Blue Screen Again
karothacker

Re: X1- keys not working

I have an X1 and do not have this problem, but I'll try to help.

What are your specs?  Have you scanned for viruses, spyware, malware, etc.?  Most software problem are due to a lack of security on the users part.  Just out of curiosity what Anti-Virus are you using?

Punch Card
MarcXW

I have the core i5, 320 GB HDD X1. I've had it for a while now, so it is weird that this issue has only appeared now. I tried scanning the laptop but it didn't find anything. My antivirus is Microsoft Security essentials.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Can you try a bootable Ubuntu disc to see if it persists there?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
What's DOS?
magneticbond

i just bought a new x1 and thought I'd tak it on an overseas trip. unfortunately, Iam having a nightmare with the keyboard intermittently not freezing. basically inermittently some random keys wont type. here is a sample of typing in abc. it randomly won't register certain keyboad strokes. as a result, it's a nightmare to use. It's as the two week return so iam screwed. i dont want a refurb.

abcdefghijklmnopqstuvxyz

abcdefghijklnopqrstuvwxyz

abcdefghijklnopqstuvxy

sucks..!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

have you tried to update the BIO firmware? Also, what sort of background processes are running?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
MarcXW

My problem seemed to be hardware-based, as it had the same problem in the bios, and in a new windows 8 developer preview install I performed, so I took the keyboard out and cleaned the inside of the laptop as well as the keyboard's connectors. It works fine now, I just hope it keeps working.

What's DOS?
lilredmbg75

We ordered 100 of these laptops for our students and when this problem started, we initially thought it was a keyboard going bad, The real problem is a simple one, the connector for the ribbon to the keyboard does not stay attached. Remove the keyboard and you will see the problem. We had become very good at reconnecting, until the same keyboard kept coming back for the same problem. We contacted Lenovo and they have sent us tape to attach the ribbon.