Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
SteveCr48
Accepted Solution

X1 or X220: please advise purchase decision

I'm trying to decide between an X1 and X220. I've studied the specs and am knowledgeable of the differencs - display size and type, processor options, battery capacity choices, and so forth. How do you choose between the two? Does one machine lend itself to some applications/uses/environments more than others? Why choose one machine over another? Thank you for your advice!!!
T400, X220
Punch Card
MarcXW

Re: X1 or X220: please advise purchase decision

Well it all depends on what you prefer. To be honest you do get more for your money on an X220. You should also note that it does have an arguably better display (matte, higher pixel density, better viewing angles) than that of the X1. In terms of build quality, they're both excellent although there have been some issues reported with the X220. The X220 has the advantage of having a much better battery life than the X1 if that is important to you, other wise the main advantage of getting the X1 over the X220 is style. It looks absolutely stunning. I keep getting compliments about it. It also has a larger palm rest so typing for long periods of time might be more agreeable than on the X220 and it has a backlit keyboard, which some could argue is in fact not as useful as a thinklight, although it does look very nice. If you don't consider any of these factors important, then I would recommend you go with the X220 as you can get marginally better specs than on the X1 for the same price. Hope this helps!

Token Ring
connmen

How does the keyboard on the X1 compare with the X220 (and the rest of the Thinkpad family)?

Looks like a tangibly different keyboard.  Better?  Worse?

Serial Port
SteveCr48

Thanks, MarcXW. I tested a X1 and it us really elegant! However, reading the forums and reviews, the X220 seems especially popular; however, I've not hadn't hands on one. Thanks again!!
T400, X220
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,252
Solutions: 1,342

The X220 with 9 cells battery can give you up to 9 hrs of battery life, and with the 9 cells slice give you another 9 cells of battery.

The X220 also has a IPS LCD choice, a standard keyboard layout.

The X1 has an integrated battery with around 4 hrs of battery life, it looks stylish and has a keyboard that most Mac fan would be familiar with.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Serial Port
SteveCr48

Thanks, Lead_org. I hadn't paid too close of attention to the subtle differences in the keyboards, but I just checked and there are differences. 

I got to play with an X1 at a Microsoft Store yesterday, and it is definitely "stylish." Thanks for your comments!

T400, X220
lead_org

Since i got both of these machines, if you have any question please don't be hesitant to ask.
Regards,

Jin Li

Token Ring
orion9727

hmm different types of use.
x220 is a buisness class travel notebook.
used for office desk to home desk use.
it has a dock and it more of a managers notebook if anything.

x1 is excutive class.
for those who are mobile pro's.
fly alot,dont need a dock but need more of mobile lifestle.

the cpu dont matter really it all sandy bridge 17 watt ulv class more then enough stomp under the hood.
what mac airs sport and untrabooks or should have.
ssd disk options hmm there where it get funky.
the x220 ssd opion is not good.
slow weak choise ssd.
cant take on a mac air and the mac air is slow compared to choices out there.

x1 i feel all notebook ssd are weak really.
the platter drive in the x1 is outstanding.
best drive made.

the x220 problem is there no sata 3 choice due to it 7mm size.
not exaclty true there are but not that meet lenovo quality standards.
that means sata 2 intel 420.

there choices aftermarket for both these fine laptops.

x1 is all about style,light,thin,decent size so you dont go blind.
it for a company excutive who they value alot.
he dont need a dock so there is none.

x220 is managers notebook who is busy allways so he docks at home and at work or a feild worker that docks in a car or van.
it not cheap nor are the many docks so it really not a standard buisness notebook handed out like cookies.
the x220 needs a design overhaul but it all about use rather then looks in the case of the x1.

buy the x1 if you fly alot because weight is a issue and i know this well going to asia alot and staying 20-40 days there at a time.
if you at cafes alot take your notebook out alot coffeshops etc then it for you.

if your a buisness man who dont fly all that much or it short routes or you do the office to home office thing and put it on a island then it all about the dock and haveing a big lcd or twins and usb cordless mouse back up usb drice or esata the x220 is your best choice.

the T series is for those who need a workstation and weight is of little concern.

the x 1 is [pretty much a mac air or sony z without the media dock and need for raid.
same class same thing.
uber metrosexual starbucks road warrier guy,just dont forget the versage shirt......pretty much.
lead_org

Personally i enjoy the X220 keyboard more since it is very much similar to the standard ThinkPad keyboard. The X1 keyboard is more for people whom are used to the Chiclet keyboard used on Mac, which is not a bad thing but just different. I supoose different keyboard for different people. 

@Orion, lets make some correction.

1st, x220 is not just for office desk and home desk use, ultraportable laptops are for roadwarriors. The battery life of the X220 with the slice +  9 cells can be as much as 22 hrs depending on configuration and usage, while the X1 with slice can manage only 10 hrs at best with Windows. 

2nd, X220 and X1 are mostly available in Standard voltage i3, i5 and i7 dual core, only in some countries are there ULV X220 and they are scarce and sold to very limited audience (like corporation).

3rd, the X1 and X220 have the same SSD options. 

4th, the weight difference between X1 and X220 with 6 cells battery is only 100 to 200 g max, not something one would be overtly concerned.

5th, so you would rather carry a laptop around with 10 hrs of max battery life (X1) on flight then a similar weight machine with double the battery life (X220)?

Regards,

Jin Li

Serial Port
SteveCr48

Thanks, lead_org. Knowing that you own both the X1 and X220 is reassuring, since I already pulled the trigger on a new X220 :smileyvery-happy: I'm happy for your reassuring report. Thanks again!!

T400, X220