Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Altadena_Mark

X1 with annoying 'ding' on start-up

I just received an X1 with Windows7 Professional 64bit. After just installing a few programs, I noticed that when I started up the system, and after logging in, after all of the programs loaded, I would get a 'ding' sound, which is annoying.

I tried bringing the system back to the original ship state, and just installed the windows updates and nothing else (except (the antivirus) .  It's still dinging.  Any suggestions on how to get rid of this?  Thanks. 

Mark

Agotthelf
Topics: 146
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Re: X1 with annoying 'ding' on start-up

Hi Altagena_Mark, welcome to Lenovo forum!

Seems Windows is recognizing s a device which is enabled or disabled in the moment your hear the sound.

Please check the power manager setting, maybe he is disabling a service to save battery power.

kind regards
Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
Altadena_Mark

Hi,

What I found out via disabling things in msconfig, was that there was a call from the startup directory for BTTray.  There is nothing in startup to call up the BTTray, so I think that's why there was a beep.  I disable the line in msconfig, and the beep went away.  There is a bluetooth icon in the tray, so it must be called from somewhere else. I can update the exact line from msconfig, later when I get home.

HDMI
hp79

That must be the same problem you are having with my X220 and X220T.

Here's a link to a post:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-X220T-Bluetooth-causing-DING-noise-when-b...

And my video of that Ding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ2My2lEmhw

Punch Card
Altadena_Mark

Check msconfig and see if there is a line for the bluetooth pointing to the startup directory and let me know.

HDMI
hp79

Yeah, there is one. I think that's what starts the bluetooth service and places the icon on the tray.

The exact location is "C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe".

Obviously, if you remove the driver/software, it removes this startup command too. Did you notice the Ding sound every time on resume from standby as well?

Punch Card
Altadena_Mark

I haven't tried it from resume, but can when I get home.  I didn't remove the driver from the laptop, I just unchecked the line from startup and the ding stopped.  It referred to Bluetooth software Broadcom corp.

The line in startup was

c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup

I just unchecked the box next to this line and no more ding.  I still see the bluetooth icon in the task bar, so it's being loaded from some other location.

Punch Card
Altadena_Mark

Ok. I've looked at the line in msconfig.
Startup item: Bluetooth Software
Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp
Command: C:\progra~\Tinkpad\Blueto~1\Bttray.exe
Location: C:\program data\microsoft\winodws\start menu\programs\startup

So I just unchecked the box next to this and no more ding.
I still have the bluetooth icon on the tray (it says 'bluetooth devices' when I put the mouse over it.
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Are you calling Broadcom dingy?  :smileyvery-happy:

HDMI
hp79

There must be a reason why lenovo runs BTTray.exe. Maybe the bluetooth icon that is on there is microsoft's BT software? I don't know. I hope somebody from lenovo steps in and fix this Ding. I suspect that all thinkpads using the same BT software has the same problem.