Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
79dan
Accepted Solution

X100e too hot, shuts down

Over the last month or so, and in 4 different occasions, my X100e (AMD Athlon Neo MV-40, 3GB RAM) has gotten too hot, to the point that it has shut down by itself. I didn't get any notification that it was an emergency, temp related shutdown, but I assume so because the bottom of the unit was extremely hot.

One of those occasions I was transferring video to my Zune player, 2 other occasions I was downloading music and 1 just listening to music while browsing the web.

Does that seem normal? I ran some tests with the Thinkvantage Toolbox and it said the temperature reached 86 c degrees... and it didn't feel as hot as those other times.

I've been a Thinkpad owner for over 10 years and I've never had this kind of trouble. I'm not sure if this is normal for this model, or I got a defective unit.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for my bad English by the way.

Serial Port
lordofazeroth

Betreff: X100e too hot, shuts down

bad english?

your location sais Texas :smileyvery-happy:

1) Install tpancontrol:

http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html

2) download prime95 to stress the CPU

3) if the Temps are too high, undervolt with RMClock

The_Solutor
Topics: 16
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 15

Re: X100e too hot, shuts down

[ Edited ]

Altough I have  a dual core one, seem a bit strange.

I seen   shoutdowns due to overheating a copule of time, but was the end of July with the room temp near 30 C, and I was compliling a linux kernel (if you are not used with linux it's a long and heavy operation)

Punch Card
79dan

Well, I'm not a native english speaker :smileywink:

I went ahead and installed TPFan Control... Wow! Works like a charm!

I had previously tried SpeedFan but it didn't seem to detect the fan properly (always showed 0rpm speed).

Now, after I installed TPFan Control, the temp was in the mid 60s, I set it to Smart 2 mode and the fan started to run faster immediately, bringing the temp down to 52c (and it keeps dropping)... although a simple action, like just opening a browser window (Firefox) brought the temp back up again by 11c to 63c and then it started dropping again (it's now reading 48c)

Does that seem normal? Should such a simple action like opening a browser window have such an impact in temperature? 10 degrees sound like a lot.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Serial Port
lordofazeroth

I forgot: installing TPFancontrol was to read the temperatures properly.

Besides, a temperature rise of 10°C is high...

goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 349
Solutions: 132

Hello,

Just to check, do you have the latest BIOS firmware installed for your X100e?

You should be able to download it from this page on Lenovo's support web site.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español
Punch Card
79dan

[ Edited ]

Thank you. I just installed the BIOS update and tried watching a YouTube video aftter. The temperature still went up to 86c while watching the video. How does that sound?

After I stopped the video, the temp went down again and it's now at 64c.

That was of course, not using TPFanControl.

Punch Card
79dan

See, that's what I mean, I'm not doing anything processor intensive. Last night it was in the upper 80s just downloading music from the Zune Marketplace.

Serial Port
larango

Welcome to the club.

Here a post I initiated in another forum regarding the same topic.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=91988

I have used tpfcontrol to monitor temperatures, I did unvervolting, etc. etc. The heat was terrible. Even after undervolting my laptop shuts down from time to time -very often I should say-. And that is just by using regular office applications.

I ended up buying another laptop with almost the same portability. I am, initially, sending my x100e for service repair to see if they can do somehting about it. But what you just mentioned is something that I am afraid is by design. A tremendous flaw in its cooling system design.

As you can see in my different posts in that forum, I feel a bit ripped off with my x100e just because of the heat issue.

regards

Serial Port
lordofazeroth

A pity to hear that, because I don't have such heat problems with mine.

It would be interesting to see a foto from the disassembled cooler.