Support in other languages: 
802.11n
abvasili
Accepted Solution

X120e-Thinkvantage toolbox displays wrong product id

Hi everyone, this is going to be a bit long, so I thank you in advance for your patiente. :-)

My issue of the boot loop (explained in a previous post) was fixed by changing the motherboard. I'm happy to have my x120e up and running.

Now I have a really annoying problem. Upon receiving the laptop, I immediately updated to the latest bios firmware.

Later I found out that after installing the new mobo the at the support center they did not updated the product type, an serial number of the machine in BIOS. So the thinkvantage toolbox was displaying a wrong product id: qqqq2ru. As you can imagine the system can't be automatically updated because there is no product with this id number.

After hours of googling I found a copy of Hardware maintenance disk (v1.78, please do not ask me how I did it) and I managed to update the BIOS with the correct Product and SN. I thought, oh, what e relief. This until restarting the computer. The toolbox now is displaying the correct SN but the same wrong Product id: qqqq2ru

I thought maybe I should reinstall the system to factory default. Did it, but the result is the same. My product id in TV toolbox is set to qqqq2RU although in bios I see the correct model, in my case 05962RU.

Can anyone shed some light on what the problem might be?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

abvasili

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
802.11n
abvasili

Re: X120e-Thinkvantage toolbox displays wrong product id

Ok, I solved this. :smileyvery-happy:

Aparently, the cause of the problem was flashing the new bios without first writing the info in BIOS (Serial Number, Product type etc)

I downgraded the bios to an older version and cleared the product type. Voila. ThinkVantage Toolbox recognized my Product id, SN etc. After that, I updated the bios to the latest version and now everything is fine.

Hope this will help someone with the same problem in the future.

Thanks for reading.

abvasili

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.