Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
orangeglo
Accepted Solution

X120e hibernates randomly from "critical battery level". Also, wonky keyboard.

I'm having a problem with my new x120e. On occassion it will automatically hibernate when I'm using it on battery power. Upon reboot it windows will say it hibernated from critical battery level, even though the battery has always been adequately charged. The laptop will work fine from then on in. This has happened at least 5 times, possibly more, I haven't really been counting.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Faulty battery? Everything is updated on the computer, latest bios, etc. I really don't want to return the laptop, would lenovo send me a new battery if mine was faulty?

Additionally, my keyboard requires you to press fairly hard on some of the keys, notably the arrow keys. It's possible to click it down without triggering the key, requiring you to press just a little bit harder. It seems to have gotten a bit worse over time. I'd love to get a new keyboard if that was possible, dunno if that's a consumer replaceable part though. I can't really afford to be without my laptop.

Beside these two faults I LOVE this little laptop! Anybody have ideas on solutions to these problems?

Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: X120e hibernates randomly from "critical battery level". Also, wonky keyboard.

If you use a fan-control program, remove it for a test, whether the issue will still appear.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Levanid

Re: X120e hibernates randomly from "critical battery level". Also, wonky keyboard.

I confirm.

I'm having the same issue with the hibernation on my x220

I'v already replaced the battery, but the problem still persists 

Fanfold Paper
orangeglo

Betreff: X120e hibernates randomly from "critical battery level". Also, wonky keyboard.

I do use tpfancontrol, I'll it off and see if I can get it to happen again.
Punch Card
troubadix

[ Edited ]

http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html :

FAQs v0.62

Q: Running TPFanControl I encounter strange spontaneous actions as shutdowns and standbys. Is there any workaround?
A: Newer versions of Thinkpad Power Manager don't team up with TPFanControl well. You can avoid these spontaneus effect by unistalling Thinkpad Power Manager Program and Thinkpad Power Manager Driver. For testing purpose saving the installation of Thinkpad Power Manager run autoruns with admin rights, uncheck all checkboxes of Thinkpad Power Manager instances as program, service and driver, and have reboot. To reactivate Thinkpad Power Manager check all checkboxes of Thinkpad Power Manager again and reboot.

Fanfold Paper
orangeglo

[ Edited ]

Alright, I'll get rid of TPfanControl and see if the problem happens again. It's not worth getting rid of the power manager for it I think. Anyone know of another good straight up temperature monitor that won't cause this problem? Coretemp doesn't usually work for me.

Any ideas on the keyboard? Anyone else have wonky arrow keys?

Fanfold Paper
orangeglo

Re: X120e hibernates randomly from "critical battery level". Also, wonky keyboard.

Another problem just occured...

I hit the power button to hibernate the computer, but instead of hibernating it killed the power instantly and then restarted. Any ideas why that would happen?

Fanfold Paper
orangeglo

Well the issue hasn't happened again since getting rid of TPFanControl, so that must have solved it! Since trying to figure out why the power button sometimes just cuts power instantly...

Fanfold Paper
orangeglo

A few months later and I still haven't had the problem again. I think it's safe to say TPfanControl doesn't interact well with the x120e.