Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
neon123

X121e loose hinge as on the picture

Hi. It just happened by itself. How to remedy this? Mind the laptop is working fine and it's possible to squeeze the parts back into their position with the fingers. http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u340/Kolobolo123/loosehinge.jpg
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: X121e loose hinge as on the picture

the hinge mechanism cracked the casing, usually squeezing the split casing won't help with the problem.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
Ferret

please see thread  

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/X121e-left-hinge-issue-Warranty/m-p/823759#M14294

Lenovo are trying to claim this is CUSTOMER DAMAGE and are refusing to cover it on warranty

It is clear this is a design fault

Please share your fault log ID so that we can get these cases linked

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

i have seen couple of these problems popping up on the X121e, this was one reason i ask people to skip the X121e and get the X130e or Edge E320/330 instead.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
neon123

Thanks and sorry for the late reply. I haven't reported the fault yet. I need this netbook on a daily basis for work, can't really do without it. So sending it over to a remote place and waiting for weeks is out of the question... Unless I bought another netbook (another nightmare) to work on in the meantime. Meaning the cost would double while clearly it's all Lenovo's fault. It seems there's no way out of it. Not cheap, and not without wasting a lot of time...
Fanfold Paper
neon123

Next time I'd rather skip Lenovo altogether.
Paper Tape
kumaryu

[ Edited ]

I have, what appears to be, exactly the same issue.

Model: TP X121e

Purchased: December 2011

Issue: Loose left hinge

1. The operation of the left hinge initially became loose. 2. Then the hinge mechanism started to float so that opening and cloasing movement appeared to cause the hinge attachement to float. 3. After a number of days, the top and bottom casing immediately surrounding the left hinge split/crack apart.

From the sequence of events, I would guess that the failure of the hinge mounting caused the lid to be opened without actuating the hinge. The movement of the hinge unit inside the case thus disabled, caused the case to crack. At no time was the unit dropped or externally impacted in any way.

When the unit was sent to Lenovo warranty repair services, I was informed that this was not covered under the warranty.

I would imagine that in a lot of the cases for ThinPad products, the damage to the hinge is the result of user forcing the hinge or dropping the unit. For this reason its understandable that hinge damage is not normally covered under warranty. Compared to some other ThinkPad models however, the mounting of the hinge directly onto the resin case (as opposed to a more rugged sub-frame) and the restricted opening of the lid would this make this area fragile.

Over the years I've found that Lenovo has excelled in the design of their rugged laptop casings and this is the first time that I've experienced this kind of issue. Indeed for these reasons, Lenovo was the standard laptop for our corporate purchases. My view hasn't changed but in the case of X121e, the design of the hinge may result in an increased number of warranty claims.

It may help if we can get an idea of the number of people having this issue with their X121e's. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Johnwaits

Is there a saying "buy cheap buy twice " X121e just one year old = RIP
Ctrl-Alt-Del
bngtlrs

I had the same issue with my Thinkpad X121e. The left hinge got loose after 16 months of daily usage and the right one shortly after. For future reference: There is at least another German having this issue, too. See: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Serie-ThinkPad-Notebooks-inkl/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X121e-lose-gebrochene-Di...

Paper Tape
thinkmic

Hello from Germany,

I have exactly the same problem with my x121e. Baught in November 2011 and having this problem for 3-4 weeks now.

In the german forum I've read of about 4-5 other members with this problem, happened after 1 to 1,5 years using.

Michael