Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Swampie

X121e, other uses for WWAN mini PCIe slot?

Does anyone know whether the mini PCIe slot in the X121e that the optional WWAN card goes in can be used for other cards?

I'm aware of the whitelist, which had been suggested may only apply to wireless devices (e.g. WLAN and WWAN) - although I'm not sure whether that's certain (i.e. doesn't apply for non-wireless devices).

I've heard some people have tried mSATA devices in this slot with no success (which isn't suprising as whilst mini PCIe is physically compatible with mSATA it isn't electrically, and so you need mSATA support in the hardware).  However I've been wondering about mini PCIe SSD cards and whether they would work.  I've heard that they're not brilliant when compared to mSATA devices - however I can't afford to get a large SSD for this machine, and in general, people don't need to store all their MP3/videos on SSD, as the best benefit comes with the OS and applications being stored on the SSD, with user data being fine on an HDD.  My using a mini PCIe SSD, I could potentially put the OS etc onto a cheaper/smaller SSD, with the hard drive for 'data'.

Has anyone tried this, or any other non-wireless mini PCIe devices in the X121e?

Thanks

Punch Card
u751920

Re: X121e, other uses for WWAN mini PCIe slot?

Might be of interest to you that I tried a half mini pcie micro sd card reader in my X301.  It would allow 64gb if it worked.  However I got an error message on boot up - can't remember exactly what it was.  Other than that the only other option was the intel turbo memory which was of little benefit to me.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Swampie

Re: X121e, other uses for WWAN mini PCIe slot?

So am I right in saying that you tried the reader but it didn't work at all?

The Intel Turbo Memory - is that known to work, or was just an option to try?

Thanks