Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
theMatrixHasYou

X200 Tablet factory restore

[ Edited ]

I'm having trouble getting my X200 tablet back to its factory settings.

Most of the instructions I've found online say to press the blue "ThinkVantage" button when prompted during startup, but instead of having an F11 option to restore factory settings, I only have three options:

1) continue booting

2) BIOS

3) choose temporary boot device

It appears I have a recovery partition (Lenovo Recovery H: ). Rescue and Recovery is installed.

Next I tried to create factory recovery disks. When I try to run "Factory Recovery Disks" in "Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools", I get an error when selecting the "data media" option saying:

"The files required by this program cannot be found."

Note 1: I installed Ubuntu 10.04 alongside the original OS (Windows 7). Could this have messed with the recovery partition somehow?

Note 2: The HD isn't faulty or anything, I'm just giving the computer to someone else and want to restore it to factory settings first.

Note 3: On my new X220 tablet, if I press the ThinkVantage button when prompted, no menu comes up at all! Instead, it just goes to Grub (again, I am dual-booting Ubuntu). But if I open "Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools" and run the "Factory Recovery Disks" program, creating the boot media and data media DOES work.

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: X200 Tablet factory restore

hey theMatrixHasYou,

it is possible that Ubuntu messed with the recovery partition. normally when installing Ubuntu there will a section whereby you can specify how much space to use.

it is at this part where a lot of problems can occur with the recovery partition. either the recovery partition was removed or it could have been converted to an ext4 (or was it ext5) partition.

anyway, did you make recovery media? and was it made before your unit became a dual boot system?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
What's DOS?
skinnersbane

Re: X200 Tablet factory restore

What a ham fisted mess this recovery partition is.  This never would have happened with an IBM Thinkpad.  Buy American, friends.