Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
puregenius
Accepted Solution

X200 Wireless WAN & Lan

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I just received my new X200 last Friday which I'm absolutely loving so far. I just stumbled about a problem with my installed WWAN card. I can't seem to get it to work.

The hardware just does not want to initialize, i.e. when I access "ThinVantage Mobile Broadband Connect", it shows me the error message "No Wireless Broadband device found". If I open "Fn+F5", I see the WWAN card, but I can't power it. I went so far to reinstall the driver and even crack open the device to see if it was physically present. :smileyvery-happy: I am aware that a sim card is required for the WWAN card to work. I even put in a 2nd sim card from my German provider. ThinkVantage GPS shows me the error "Cannot Initialize GPS COM port.  (309)".

So what do I make out of this? The telephone support told me that I need to have an acctivated AT&T card. That won't be an option though, as I don't have a SSN. Besides, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that at least the GPS should work with any SIM card, right?

Second of all, when I cracked open my device, I noticed that the Intel WiFi Link 5300 card was just connected to 2 antennas. I kinda bought that card to have faster speeds and maybe to have a better reception due to the multiple antennas compared to the 5100. Now I'm worried that I won't be able to make use of the benefits due to the missing 3rd antenna?!

Thanks!

P.s.: The WWAN card an EricssonF3507g.

Message Edited by puregenius on 01-27-2009 11:39 AM
Serial Port
puregenius

Re: X200 Wireless WAN & Lan

I just looked up the Intel documentation for the 5100 and 5300. In the 5300 PDF it says:

"Up to 2X greater range enabled by 3x3 Draft-N implementations with 3 spatial streams. Up to 450 Mbps of Bandwidth based on the theoretical maximum bandwidth enabled by 3x3 Draft-N implementations with 3 spatial streams in
combination with a 3 spatial stream Access Point. Actual wireless throughput and/or range will vary depending on your specific operating system, hardware and software configurations. Check with your PC manufacturer for details.
"

So what did I pay the extra money for again? Is there any advantage in the 5300?

Punch Card
mickey53usa

Seems kind of basic, but did you turn the wireless power slide switch on?
Serial Port
puregenius

I'm connected to the internet using wifi right now. Unless there is a third position for the switch, that shouldn't be the problem.
Punch Card
bartolo5

puregenius wrote:

I just looked up the Intel documentation for the 5100 and 5300. In the 5300 PDF it says:

"Up to 2X greater range enabled by 3x3 Draft-N implementations with 3 spatial streams. Up to 450 Mbps of Bandwidth based on the theoretical maximum bandwidth enabled by 3x3 Draft-N implementations with 3 spatial streams in
combination with a 3 spatial stream Access Point. Actual wireless throughput and/or range will vary depending on your specific operating system, hardware and software configurations. Check with your PC manufacturer for details.
"

So what did I pay the extra money for again? Is there any advantage in the 5300?

The 5300 can do 3x3 MIMO (450 Mbps max raw using 40Mhz channel and AES encryption) while the 5100 can only do 2x2 (300mbps max raw, 40Mhz, AES).

I have a 5300 on my Lenovo X200 and a D-link DIR-655 router and it is connectiong to the router at 300 mbps usually. I don't think the router can do more, actually I'm unaware of any routers at the moment that do 3x3 MIMO.

Punch Card
bartolo5

puregenius wrote:

That won't be an option though, as I don't have a SSN. Besides, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that at least the GPS should work with any SIM card, right?

Second of all, when I cracked open my device, I noticed that the Intel WiFi Link 5300 card was just connected to 2 antennas. I kinda bought that card to have faster speeds and maybe to have a better reception due to the multiple antennas compared to the 5100. Now I'm worried that I won't be able to make use of the benefits due to the missing 3rd antenna?!

Message Edited by puregenius on 01-27-2009 11:39 AM

It seems like you need a SIM card on the tray for the  Ericsson F3507g to do anything. You do not need to sign up for AT&T service, at least I didn't need it with mine. Works with any SIM card I tried. Check this website for more info about this:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ericsson_F3507g_Mobile_Broadband_Module

I've been wondering about the two antenna plugs myself to the 5300, it may be a design flaw.

Serial Port
puregenius

bartolo5 wrote:

The 5300 can do 3x3 MIMO (450 Mbps max raw using 40Mhz channel and AES encryption) while the 5100 can only do 2x2 (300mbps max raw, 40Mhz, AES).

I have a 5300 on my Lenovo X200 and a D
link DIR
655 router and it is connectiong to the router at 300 mbps usually. I don't think the router can do more, actually I'm unaware of any routers at the moment that do 3x3 MIMO.

The point is, the 5300 card in the X200 is only connected to 2 antennas. So as far as I can see it, the additional capacities from the card cannot be utilized.Why does Lenovo then offer let alone recommend the 5300 card?

I know there is no router that supports the speeds yet, but I'd like to be future ready.

bartolo5 wrote:

It seems like you need a SIM card on the tray for the  Ericsson
F3507g to do anything. You do not need to sign up for AT&T service,
at least I didn't need it with mine. Works with any SIM card I tried.
Check this website for more info about this:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ericsson_F3507g_Mobile_Broadband_Module

I've been wondering about the two antenna plugs myself to the 5300, it may be a design flaw.

The SIM card is in the tray and your case supports my theory, that there actually is something wrong with my WWAN card.
Punch Card
bartolo5

puregenius wrote:
The SIM card is in the tray and your case supports my theory, that there actually is something wrong with my WWAN card.

Have you tried throwing AT commands to it to see if it replies back to you? You could at least check it's alive and kicking.

Seems like my F3507g just literally died. I turned on the computer two days ago and it was not there on the device manager. Logging into my linux partition was revealing a lot of spurious messages coming out from the kernel trying to communicate with the card. Had been working ok until then, although the Access Connections software had always been flaky when using WWAN. 

Serial Port
puregenius

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I don't have a CD drive yet to boot a linux from. I also don't have a very good knowledge of linux. Do you know of any windows tools I can use to throw these commands with? Putty?

Sorry for your loss.

Punch Card
bartolo5

puregenius wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I don't have a CD drive yet to boot a linux from. I also don't have a very good knowledge of linux. Do you know of any windows tools I can use to throw these commands with? Putty?

Sorry for your loss.

Any terminal that can connect to COM ports will do. XP had  hyperterminal, but got removed in vista. There is this open source one that may do the work  (http://en.poderosa.org/index.html) .

Open one of the COM ports of the card and type AT commands into it to see if the card replies:

For example:

ATI0 + ENTER

ATI1 + ENTER

That should return the information strings stored in the card