Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
WaleedBakr

X200 is suddenly emitting a loud fan noise

My X200 has been working perfectly since October. Now, almost a year later, it suddenly started to emit a loud fan noise (almost as if something fell inside the fan, although nothing did). Has anyone experienced fan failure on the X200? How can I get it fixed? I'm on a long trip in Europe and need to use it on daily basis. It's quite embarrasing to turn the machine on in public places.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

Re: X200 is suddenly emitting a loud fan noise

is your laptop fan clogged with dusts?? also when you say loud, can you confirm what temperature of your cpu and rpm of the fan using speedfan?

here is the manual that shows you how to access the fan

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-69207.html 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
WaleedBakr

Thanks for your help.

My laptop was accidently dropped last night and now the sound is gone. I now recall that prior to the problem it received a minor hit on the side when I was trying to open a window. I guess it was either dirt that got jammed/unjammed when it was hit or the fan lost alignment and then got fixed when dropped. 

This solves the issue for now. I'll re-post if it recurs.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

it shouldn't be the alignment, as everything is screwed tight. It must be during the fall, some dusts on the fan blade or near the bearings must have came off, but i would still open the laptop up to inspect.

I have dropped my thinkpads plenty of time, as long as the case and screen is okay, then there shouldn't be much of a problem.  

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Token Ring
heretohelp

[ Edited ]

This issue is the cause of most of the noises I have seen time and time again with the X200 and Im very very upset that your post has gone on so long with out a response from a technician....

community supermod
erik

heretohelp - if WaleedBakr's system is under warranty then of course it would be covered.   no one is claiming otherwise or denying him of service.

regarding Lenovo knowing "exactly what is wrong with [his] computer", that depends entirely if a call has been made to service.   it sounds like the issue may have cleared itself and that a service case hasn't been opened.

regarding this post going so long without a response from a technician, this thread was started on a saturday (in the US) and our forum doesn't have technicians roaming around.   this is a peer-to-peer forum, not an official support channel.

i recommend familiarizing yourself with our community participation rules where we outline the objectives of this forum and rules of conduct.

if you have personal experience with this same issue happening on multiple X200 systems then i suggest posting about it in this thread so the information can be logged.   that would be very helpful.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Token Ring
heretohelp

[ Edited ]

The X200 has a spring assembly that holds the battery latch in place the springs become dislodged and blocks the CPU fan resulting in the Fan error or a high pitched grinding sound.

community supermod
erik

heretohelp - i've sent you a PM about this requesting more info.   thank you.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Token Ring
heretohelp

It seems the X200 has a serious manufacturing problem. Only able to be rectified by replacing the base with a remolded base, this requires the complete disasembly and reassembly of the unit.

They continue to resist repeated requests from me to publish this as a known issue one can only draw the conclusion that they are trying to cover up this fault.

What's DOS?
packerliu

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same problem on noisy fan as the first post.  Checked the battary latch, it is lose now, and pushing it will tune the noise level.  Will disassemble the laptop and see if I can fix it...

After I opened up everything, there are two long springs to hold the battery latch. Their holders on the body of the laptop bottom are too short, so (probably a shake) dislodged the springs and make their ends touch the fan, causing noise. 

I would agree that this is a design that does not consider these springs can be dislocated by a shake...