Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
LakeErieVike

X200 with MS Server 2008 - Driver Assistance Requested

Bought a new Lenovo X200 recently and was told that Windows Server 2008 would run on it with no compatibility issues for drivers but found that I was given bad information (yes, from a Lenovo Salesman).  Anyway, here is a list of the troubles I am having with Server 2008 installed.  BTW, if you're wondering why I would want to run Server 08, it's because I need a ultra portable machine to use as a deployment server using Microsoft Systems Center Configuration Manager 07.  The X200 I bought was maxed out.

The drivers I am having issues with are:

Ethernet Controller (Wireless works, but LAN will not)
PCI Serial Port
PCI Simple Communications Controller
ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate II
Unknown Device (I am guessing this is the figure print reader)

I've downloaded all the latest LAN drivers and tried them all from Lenovo.  I've went to Intel and did the same.  Installation of the FigerPrint reader fails.  My main concern is the LAN driver.  I must have that in order to deploy images on LANs.  Any and all advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
community supermod
erik

Re: X200 with MS Server 2008 - Driver Assistance Requested

welcome to the forum!

LakeErieVike wrote:
Bought a new Lenovo X200 recently and was told that Windows Server 2008 would run on it with no compatibility issues for drivers but found that I was given bad information (yes, from a Lenovo Salesman).

did this information come from a lenovo phone sales rep or a dealer who resells lenovo products?   windows server OSes are not officially supported on any thinkpad and never have been.   inside sales reps should all be aware of this fact but i cannot speak for resellers.

regardless, all hope isn't lost yet.   just keep in mind that there is still a chance that you won't get everything working.

with that said, have you tried vista drivers for the X200 found here?

if so, have you tried to install drivers manually?   here is the process:

- download the driver

- run the .exe and note its installation location

- open device manager and right-click the device with the yellow bang and select 'update driver software...'

- select the 'browse your computer' option

- click on the 'let me pick from a list' button

- click the 'have disk' button

- browse to where the driver package extracted and select the main directory

- click 'ok'

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 ULV · X60T SXGA+ · s30 · 600

Paper Tape
LakeErieVike

Hey Thanks Erik,

It is an inside sales rep.  xxxxx@directlenovo.com.  I will refrain from posting his name because he has been very helpful through many other transactions.  He supposedly confirmed it would work froma support resource with Lenovo; but I digress.

I originally tried the Vista drivers, then the XP drivers, neither set installs the NIC drivers.  Understand that I am OK with some loss of functionality, but I 'Must' have the LAN Ethernet working.  I need to be able to plug into a switched network to push images to computer lab workstations.  I cannot do this using a wireless connection.  I almost wish it was the other way around (wireless won't work, LAN does)....Murphy's Law I guess.

If anyone has a work around or some things to try, I'm game.  Just send me your information and I'll see if it works.  This is the first time I've ran into a NIC driver problem I haven't been able to overcome.  Go figure~~

Paper Tape
cylmccoy

[ Edited ]
Hi LakeErieVike,

Here is my solution:

1. Do dowoload the x200 ethernet driver for vista from lenovo

2. Extract the drive package

3. Install the drive form path: C:\DRIVERS\Vista\ETHERNET\APPS\SETUP\SETUPBD\Vista32\SetupBD.exe

4. Go to device manager, locate the unknown device (Ethernet controller) > right click > Update drivr software

5, Select Browser my computer for driver software

6, Select  Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer

7, Select Select network adapter

8, Select Intel, with corresponding driver selection "82567LM-2 Gigabit..."

9, Install the driver, finally, you should got your ethernet work!

Actually, I think this is truth that there are some drivers (or thinkvantage software compatibility) issues of X200 with Windows server 2008, but after my testing, there are around 90% of them work fine ~

Message Edited by cylmccoy on 12-07-2008 07:10 PM
Message Edited by cylmccoy on 12-07-2008 07:10 PM