Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
boringusername

X200s: How can I figure out what's causing my system to hang?

[ Edited ]

I’m running Vista 64 business on a Lenovo X200s.

I’ve only had this happen when my machine is idle for a while and I come back to it – it’s never hung while I’m actually using it. It’s like my HD just stops responding. If I hit play on an MP3, it will play a few seconds of buffer and then die. If I scroll a PDF file, it will scroll a few pages and then hang when I go too far. I can browse the start menu until I hit a subfolder which (presumably) hasn’t been preloaded, and then the UI hangs, etc.

There’s nothing suspicious in the event log, but if the HD stops responding, nothing’s going to get logged. I’ve run memtest, and the HD SMARTtest stuff, and that all runs fine.

I originally started getting these hangs after installing cygwin. I had a Windows version of ACL2 installed beforehand, which caused the install to completely fail, since it had its own (old) versions of various *nix utils. AVG had some nag screen that was annoying me, so I uninstalled that, and my system stopped hanging. Then I installed avast and I started getting hangs again. Since then, I’ve uninstalled avasat and cygwin, and that hasn’t fixed the problem. I guess that was all just coincidence?

Also, the system doesn’t hang in safe mode or safe mode with networking. I’ve been meaning to get a solid state disk anyway, so if this is definitely a software / configuration issue, I don’t mind installing a new disk and just wiping everything out. OTOH, if it’s a hardware issue, I’d rather send it back to lenovo before I make any changes, but I have no idea how to tell what’s causing the problem.

And how do I enter the BIOS config screen? When I first ran into this problem, I enabled ‘diagnostic boot’, and now the BIOS spews all sorts of crap onto my screen as it's booting. The problem is that keypresses are ignored while it’s doing that, so I can’t get back into the BIOS config screen. Do I need to dig out the CMOS battery and reset everything to be able to get back into the config screen?

Moderator note: Type added to subject line for clarity.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 18-05-2009 10:23 AM
Serial Port
law663

Re: How can I figure out what's causing my system to hang?

I have the same problem with my X200 which as an Intel SSD and is running XP, so I'm thinking it's software related of some sort.
Blue Screen Again
boringusername

[ Edited ]
Did you call Lenovo support, and if so, what did they say?
Message Edited by boringusername on 05-17-2009 08:56 PM
Fanfold Paper
izzy

soon as you start up the computer, keep hitting the F1 key.  That should get you into the BIOS.

Also, try disabling Active System Protection for your freezing issues.  I'm using XP so  I don't know where to tell you to find it in Vista.

Blue Screen Again
boringusername

Thanks! Hitting 'F1' worked. Funny that the startup screen tells you to hit the 'ThinkVantage' button, which doesn't work after you enable diagnostic boot.

Unfortunately, disabling  the HD system protection was the first thing I tried, and that didn't solve the hang problem. But at least I can get into the BIOS, change boot order, and boot off a USB drive now. 

What's DOS?
lrgphd

I am having the same problem.   Sometimes my system won't go into standby, hangs on shutdown, or takes up to 7 minutes to go into standby or restart.   We just updated Thinkvantage Access Connections, which is also hanging, won't open, and slowing down the system.  it takes FOREVER for Access connections to open if one double-clicks on it or presses Fn+F5.  But the shutdown problems were also happening before, and it was spontaneously disconnecting from our servier.

When I'm trying to shut down the computer, error messages come up in these programs.

Tphkmgr

AcTrayWnd

We searched some other forums, and many people on the web are complaining of these problems, with these programs, which apparently can't be uninstalled without losing important functionality.  Both are Lenovo programs.  One of those posters said that all Lenovo support had to offer was a suggestion that the user format the entire computer and reinstall everything, not even using the backup.  Our tech guy has already checked the system for viruses and spyware and even cleans up junk files regularly.  There is enough "noise" on the web to suggest that these programs are the culprit.  Is Lenovo working on a solution?

Thank you in advance.

Paper Tape
AntonA

Re: X200s: How can I figure out what's causing my system to hang?

I have the same problem. My lenovo x200s (7466-A17) with new Intel SSD hang two times for three days. I am using "clean" Windows Vista from MS original disk. First time it happens while system is booting up, second during checking entire disk with ESET NOD32. The system absolutely freeze - mouse pointer don't move and any keys don't work (even caps lock).

Flashing last BIOS and reinstalling Windows don't solve this problem :smileysad:

I plan to replace the SSD to original HDD and see what happens.