Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
robwes

X200s fingerprint sensor for online passwords?

Hi,

I'm using the built-in fingerprint sensor for loggin on to my laptop, is there also a setting I can change or driver I can add in order to store passwords when surfing the web?

Thanks

Rob

topmahof
Topics: 37
Kudos: 374
Solutions: 241

Re: X200s fingerprint sensor for online passwords?

you can't with the builtin fingerprint reader but you can with a stand a lone reader. most units come with a registration wizard that stores all your passwords so you can log on with the reader.  fingerprint readers are notoriously inaccurate, though.  technically, someone could lift your bottle of beer at a bar and use silly putty and powder to lift your prints and they "could" use that to log on to your banking sites or whatever.  a more secure method would be to use a program that stores all your passwords and use one master password to log on to sites.

plus with a standalone reader, now you gotta lug around an extra piece of equipment to log on with.

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

robwes wrote:

Hi,

I'm using the built-in fingerprint sensor for loggin on to my laptop, is there also a setting I can change or driver I can add in order to store passwords when surfing the web?

Thanks

Rob

As far as i know you can do that with the built-in fingerprint reader using the Password Manager in Client Security Solution. In case you don't already have it installed you can find the software for Windows 7 here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-73785

There are also some patches for CSS that might be a good idea to install.

Your computer got the Authentec AES2810 fingerprint reader, but an alternative to the Lenovo Password Manager is the to use Protector Suite 2009 from Upek. The software from Upek support the Authentec fingerprint reader as well using WBF with some limitations. The Protector Suite cost $20, but you can download a trial to test before you buy.

-gan

Blue Screen Again
robwes

Thanks for your replies :-)

I'm actually still on XP, would you know if its available for that as well?

Thanks,

Rob

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108