Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
rchereji
Accepted Solution

X201 display driver crashes

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my lenovo x201 laptop. In the last 1-2 months, I experienced random crashes when I watched youtube videos. I have an external monitor connected to my laptop and randomly the monitor becomes all black (like it is disconnected) and after some time the image reappears and I see a message that the display driver crashed and it recovered or something like this. Anyway, after this the computer runs very slowly or freezes. Even if I try to shut down windows, it doesn't complete the shutdown. The bluetooth light remains green and I can hear some noise, from the hard drive. In the end I have to press the on/off button until it shuts down completelly.

Did you notice something similar? Is there a fix for this? I have windows 7 SP1 x64 and the latest drivers from lenovo.

Thanks,

Razvan

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: X201 display driver crashes

hey rchereji,

does the display driver crash if the external monitor is not connected?

i recommend uninstalling the current video drivers for your unit. let win7 install its generic drivers. once done, test again with and without the external monitor and see if the same issue occurs

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Punch Card
JEFFERSONDEA

Same problem. This seems to have started when the external monitor was connected (ViewSonic LED). However I have seen this on a rarer ocassion without the external monitor in the past. Lenovo is only up to version 8x for the Intel HD graphics yet Intel is up to version 15x. The reasonable thing to do would be to upgrade the drivers yet we are supposed to get them from Lenovo per the Intel update utility. So what does Lenovo plan to do?

Punch Card
JEFFERSONDEA

Can someone help me please? Am desperate for help. Thanks in advance.

Punch Card
JEFFERSONDEA

This is pathetic. I demand a f answer or the BBB will call Lenovo.

What's DOS?
archundias

I have the same problem. I´m using a docking station and attached to it I have an external monitor (HP LP2475w). I´ll try reinstalling the video drivers...

What's DOS?
archundias

I´ve uninstalled, restarted and Windows Update installed automatically the drivers... So far is working fine.

Retired Employee
NINE

Hi all,

I'm glad to hear that it is working out for some by uninstalling the drivers and installing the drivers again via windows. Based from what i've read here it does appear to be Driver issue. I was just wondering if you guys have installed the driver for the monitor as well. In certain cases the Graphics drivers tend to require the drivers for the monitor to be installed as well in order to fuction properly.

I would suggest "archundias" idea to install and uninstall the drivers first and also included the drivers for the monitor should you have not done so. Should the problem persist, do contact our service department. They should be able to to shed more light on the matter.

Regards 

Punch Card
JEFFERSONDEA

Ive manually installed the Lenovo version of the Intel drivers over the existing installation as the READ ME file says it should fix any problems. YouTube continues to crash an Im not using an external monitor. The fact is Lenovo has not updated drivers for on board Intel video for eons. We cant install the drivers from the Intel site so as a fair business practive would you provide updated drivers? I mean if you follow this thread its an absolute disgrace. Do something about it.

What's DOS?
archundias

It crashed again... Do you have any other sugestion?

Thanks!