Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
fafaneboat

X201 hangs and makes noises during audio playback

Hello, I've a 3249CTO X201 with 8g of ram and an updated Hdd (seagate momentus xt 500gb with 4gb ssd).

I had issues with the Hdd that where partially resolved with a seagate firmware update (the hdd kept going from standby to active mode without apparent reason and it was assumed to be a too agressive power saving mode...)

Anyway, my issue here is the annoying chirping sound coming out the speakers during any audio playback (online audio streams, films, mp3, youtube... you name it!) anytime the Hdd is accessed.

It even seems like everything just hangs for anywhere between 0 and 2 seconds at the exact same time.

It only happens when on battery and using w7 pro 64bit. If I use ubuntu from my 8g sdhc card, it never occurs (even if I use chrome on both and watching the exact same youtube video). (NOTE that I did access the hdd from ubuntu to prove my point...)

I think it is related to the power gestion of the system and I've tried a countless serie of different power management settings. It affect the frequency of the episodes (would occur more or less often) but it still happens.

When plugged in, it never occurs....

If it doesn't occur under ubuntu (I mean never!), it should not be hardware related, however the w7 way of managing power is different so I tend to think there IS a hardware issue (weakness) wich might be highligted by the OS.

Anybody has a good lead on this?

What's DOS?
fafaneboat

Re: X201 hangs and makes noises during audio playback

Well, thanks but no thanks... What a **bleep** forum, nobody even cares about issues.... I replaced the **bleep** seagate momentus xt 500g with a Patriot PP120GS25SSDR Pyro 2.5 Solid State Drive and VOILA, problem solved!!!

Turned out seagate 1rst gen hybrid hybrid drive wasn't appropriate for my x201, gobs too much power for the delicate (and cheap) circuitry... SSD is a lot better, silent, fast, cooler, I even get about 1 hour more of batt life!!!

Now works as it should, like a charm!!!!

harishnailwal
Topics: 0
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 2

Hello Fafaneboat,

It might be an issue with firmware of your system, I would like to suggest you please visit the below mentioned web link to download and install few drivers according to your Operating System. 

support.lenovo.com/en_SG/downloads/default.page? 

Kindly put your 7 digit TYPE-Model(3249CTO) number of the system in the Quick path

1. Please download and update the Power Management driver and Power Manager(Please uninstall the previously installed driver and software first).

2. Please download and update the BIOS of your system.

To check the previous BIOS version and date, please click on START> type msinfo32> press Enter. It will open System Information Window. You can check the BIOS version and date from there. Kindly match the driver version and date and if the driver and download link have updated driver then please update the BIOS of your system.

Please perform and check how it goes, It might resolve the issue.

Regards,

Harish

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

What's DOS?
fafaneboat

Thanks Harish for the answer,

May I use thinkvantage system update in order to do what you suggest?

I've already used it to update bios and power management utilities with ease and find it more convenient but if you think I should do it the way you kindly described, please tell me!

Stephane