Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
marcuslee2032
Accepted Solution

X201 mini PCI-E WWAN card seen, then not seen

Hi All,

I put a Ericsson F3507G into my new X201, which was taken from my old SL400 (FRU 43Y6479 if it makes any difference), as I'm aware of the whitelist issue, and I figured genuine Lenovo, it should work.

Upon first boot, I saw the 1804 error flash up then disappear, and then nothing showing in terms of Device Manager.

Nor no matter what toggling of BIOS or Fn-F5 would see it recognised, but no more 1804 error, and it was as if the card was a ghost.

Thought maybe the card is too old, so bought myself a newer F3507G FRU (I didn't think of writing the particular FRU down) and swapped it in.

Upon first boot, and then green hardware switch turned, Win7 recognised it and started looking for drivers.

YAY I thought, and then shutdown PC and put all the screws back in properly.

Next power on, infamous 1804 error, but this time no matter how many times I powered off then on again, it stayed.

I didn't have time to go unscrewing the X201, so ingeniously (or so I thought), I managed to F1 my way into BIOS and set the "Wireless and WiMax" to disable, allowing me to boot.

Having now had time to try it again, re-enabling it in BIOS and toggling the hardware switch, the only thing which is recognised again is the built in Wi-FI.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

Guru
x220forMe

Re: X201 mini PCI-E WWAN card seen, then not seen

Replace your Ericsson card with whitelisted or "work" with BIOS and whitelist.
If you don't want to do that tape the pin #20 on wwan card. May be it'll help in your laptop.

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Russia flag Русскоязычное Сообщество   English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español
Paper Tape
marcuslee2032

Thanks for your reply - as it happens I think both the WWAN's I've tried are whitelisted ones (they're genuine Lenovo FRUs).

However maybe I'll try the pin20 tape anyway - though I have been wondering what do people tape it with, since it's got to fit into a pretty tight slot?

Guru
x220forMe

[ Edited ]

Original Lenovo's FRU doesn't mean this device is whitelisted for your laptop. For example, my Lenovo Gobi 2000 with original FRU 78Y1399 was in x220's whitelist in BIOS version prior of 1.16. Presently it's not.
Thin stationery scotch does not create problems for device fittting. But I agree - it's not so easy to tape the pin with width about 1 mm. Or use nail polish.
Note as we see on x201's support site the drivers for the following wwan modems are there - Lenovo Gobi 2000, Leadcore 5730D, HUAWEI EM660. Maybe whitelist is wider. 
But I guess in order to use any Ericsson card you should do "something" with BIOS or card.

Russia flag Русскоязычное Сообщество   English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español
Paper Tape
marcuslee2032

x220forMe wrote:

Original Lenovo's FRU doesn't mean this device is whitelisted for your laptop. For example, my Lenovo Gobi 2000 with original FRU 78Y1399 was in x220's whitelist in BIOS version prior of 1.16. Presently it's not.
Thin stationery scotch does not create problems for device fittting. But I agree - it's not so easy to tape the pin with width about 1 mm. Or use nail polish.
Note as we see on x201's support site the drivers for the following wwan modems are there - Lenovo Gobi 2000, Leadcore 5730D, HUAWEI EM660. Maybe whitelist is wider. 
But I guess in order to use any Ericsson card you should do "something" with BIOS or card.

Ah thanks, I didn't realise - that's astonishing that FRU 78Y1399 was whitelisted in BIOS <1.16, but it's been dropped in later releases?

Also in that regard, where do you look up to see which ones are white listed?

I note for my X201 (3680-BW9), I've got listed:

- Qualcomm Gobi 2000, Leadcore 5730D, HUAWEI EM660, listed for WWAN drivers

- Ericsson F3507g, Ericsson F3607gw, Ericsson F5521gw, Qualcomm Gobi2000/Gobi3000 for Thinkpad Mobile Broadband

Both my WWAN cards are F3507g's, though different FRUs. Also the second one purchased was listed for both SL400 and X201 compatible.

Thanks also for nail varnish tip. Also if I read correctly, if you tape pin 20, the card should work and you don't need a BIOS hack? The only thing you might miss, is the ability for Fn+F5 to power on and off the card??

Guru
x220forMe

[ Edited ]

> that's astonishing that FRU 78Y1399 was whitelisted in BIOS <1.16, but it's been dropped in later releases? - YES

> where do you look up to see which ones are white listed? -- it's not a public information from Lenovo. You should use special instruments and have some skills to look BIOS inside.

> - Ericsson F3507g, Ericsson F3607gw, Ericsson F5521gw, Qualcomm Gobi2000/Gobi3000 for Thinkpad Mobile Broadband -- This is just an application for 3G modem registration in simless networks like Sprint or Verizon. This application (in one pacage) covers all of the listed devices. For 3g modem itself you need the drivers as listed above. These modems (their USB IDs - vendor ID and product ID for wwan cards) should be listed in wl. So, your Ericsson modems are not in compatibility list of x201. But maybe are in whitelist nevertheless.

> Also if I read correctly, if you tape pin 20, the card should work and you don't need a BIOS hack? The only thing you might miss, is the ability for Fn+F5 to power on and off the card?? -- That's not exactly true. It depends of manufacturer and laptop model. Some time ago the taping of the pin #20 was a solution for many laptops and mini pci-e cards in order to prevent laptopt locking and 1802 (1804) error appearing. As the laptop newer, more complicated and closer to corporate market segment as more there are machanisms for secure, reliable work. White list is one of that - it prevents the unauthorized mini pci-e card use.

But for many recent laptops the taping isn't enough solution for avoiding this restrction. The taping of pin #20 prevents blocking the card by the laptop embedded controller. So the card will be always visible by system and logically turned on (it means you'll not be able to use "in airplan" function, for example). But in many (not all) cases this solution helps to avoid the wl restriction.
Fn+F5 doesn't electrically turn the power for card, it does just logically.

Paper Tape
marcuslee2032

x220forMe wrote:

> that's astonishing that FRU 78Y1399 was whitelisted in BIOS <1.16, but it's been dropped in later releases? - YES

> where do you look up to see which ones are white listed? -- it's not a public information from Lenovo. You should use special instruments and have some skills to look BIOS inside.

> - Ericsson F3507g, Ericsson F3607gw, Ericsson F5521gw, Qualcomm Gobi2000/Gobi3000 for Thinkpad Mobile Broadband -- This is just an application for 3G modem registration in simless networks like Sprint or Verizon. This application (in one pacage) covers all of the listed devices. For 3g modem itself you need the drivers as listed above. These modems (their USB IDs - vendor ID and product ID for wwan cards) should be listed in wl. So, your Ericsson modems are not in compatibility list of x201. But maybe are in whitelist nevertheless.

> Also if I read correctly, if you tape pin 20, the card should work and you don't need a BIOS hack? The only thing you might miss, is the ability for Fn+F5 to power on and off the card?? -- That's not exactly true. It depends of manufacturer and laptop model. Some time ago the taping of the pin #20 was a solution for many laptops and mini pci-e cards in order to prevent laptopt locking and 1802 (1804) error appearing. As the laptop newer, more complicated and closer to corporate market segment as more there are machanisms for secure, reliable work. White list is one of that - it prevents the unauthorized mini pci-e card use.

But for many recent laptops the taping isn't enough solution for avoiding this restrction. The taping of pin #20 prevents blocking the card by the laptop embedded controller. So the card will be always visible by system and logically turned on (it means you'll not be able to use "in airplan" function, for example). But in many (not all) cases this solution helps to avoid the wl restriction.
Fn+F5 doesn't electrically turn the power for card, it does just logically.

Thanks for informative reply, I never did bother to read too deeply into the BIOS hacks and how it works (well to be honest, as soon as some of them talked about running up linux to do it, I thought this is going to have to wait until another day!).

That aside, is there anyone nice enough to publish the whitelisted WWAN cards they discover inside each version of BIOS?

I suppose it's either that or purchase a WWAN direct from Lenovo (?)...

Guru
x220forMe

I suppose you'll not wait for the information about whitelisted cards from Lenovo staff. They avoid wl theme. All you can see is "use compatible cards and drivers from the support site".
Of course you may purchase 1 of 2 officially supported cards (EM660 is for China Telecom) or use your Ericsson cards with some tricks.

Paper Tape
marcuslee2032

x220forMe wrote:
I suppose you'll not wait for the information about whitelisted cards from Lenovo staff. They avoid wl theme. All you can see is "use compatible cards and drivers from the support site".
Of course you may purchase 1 of 2 officially supported cards (EM660 is for China Telecom) or use your Ericsson cards with some tricks.

Thanks for your reply and the patience in replying!

Paper Tape
marcuslee2032

Hi All,

FYI I did contact Lenovo tech support, and after putting me on hold for a few mins, they came back with the info. These are the supported cards

FRU 43Y6513

FRU 60Y3183

I've confirmed the second one (Gobi, the first one is a Ericsson one), as I've now gone and purchased it and am using it!

Cheers,

Marcus