Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
la808

X220 Any Problems with displays of large excel files?

I was about to purchase an X220 until I read one bad review that this model has issues with displaying large Excel files.  Being that having Excel files with thousands of rows/column is the core of my usage, I needed to check this out.

Please let me know if you have been okay with this model and working with large excel files.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,229
Solutions: 1,311

Re: X220 Any Problems with displays of large excel files?

where are you reading about issues displaying large excel files? I have files that have nearly 50,000 rows and it flies through it.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
la808

There was a review posted on Lenovo mentioning that this model has issues with large excel files.  My files will not be more than 50000 lines! 

lead_org

can you post a link to the review? I am not having any issues, nor does the other two X220 at work have this issue when using the large excel files.
Regards,

Jin Li

Blue Screen Again
la808

lead_org wrote:
can you post a link to the review? I am not having any issues, nor does the other two X220 at work have this issue when using the large excel files.

Based on your feedback I'm probably going to go ahead and get the model.  But If I hadn't inquired on this forum, this review would have changed my mind.

Here's the text from the review on lenovo.com :
Light, solid machine with one small glitch

Date:February 23, 2012
"I have owned and used by X220 for about six months and consider it a real workhorse. Great display quality, wonderful keyboard (perhaps the best of any laptop, a Thinkpad tradition). I like it better than my previous light machine for the road, an X201.
The only problem is an odd one. With some memory intensive programs, such as Excel, the display has trouble keeping up. In Excel, for example, on a larger worksheet the rows will bunch up and can't be read, or rows will unexpectedly be transposed to cover the ribbon, so that they and the ribbon can't be read. This seems to be a limitation of the built-in graphics chip, the Intel HD Graphics 3000. It should be adequate for these straightforward business tasks; 64 megs of video RAM are built in. Yet, those big files, in both Excel and also, surprisingly, in Word, can tie themselves up. When that happens, the only solution is to close the program and start over.
If you need graphics clarity for all business purposes, you would be wise to consider this issue before buying the X220."
andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 629

la808 wrote:

It would certainly help, and also be correct, to provide a link to the quoted text in order that members can evaluate better the review you are referring to.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

jiv
802.11n
jiv

[ Edited ]

la808 wrote:

Light, solid machine with one small glitch

Date:February 23, 2012
The only problem is an odd one. With some memory intensive programs, such as Excel, the display has trouble keeping up. In Excel, for example, on a larger worksheet the rows will bunch up and can't be read, or rows will unexpectedly be transposed to cover the ribbon, so that they and the ribbon can't be read. This seems to be a limitation of the built-in graphics chip, the Intel HD Graphics 3000. It should be adequate for these straightforward business tasks; 64 megs of video RAM are built in. Yet, those big files, in both Excel and also, surprisingly, in Word, can tie themselves up. When that happens, the only solution is to close the program and start over.

I have this problem sometimes (quite seldom though), but minimising and opening up the window again will fix it. Very minor issue.

lead_org

[ Edited ]

Can you post the url link of the above post?

If X220 have this problem, then the other Thinkpad with intel HD3000 would also have this problem.

Regards,

Jin Li

Token Ring
ccl13

[ Edited ]

If there's problem X220 taking big Excel files, it should already failed in other things like handling pagefile or load the OS or something more heavier loading. Otherwise it is someone else's fault, like Microsoft has a bug in Excel prevents certain configuration to load file correctly, or Intel's driver is faulty displaying big tables.

Anyway, generally speaking, since excel is standard, and X220 is at heart a standard machine (it's just a X86 machine which consists of none proprietary core system but only customized circuits and shell), there shouldn't be a Excel specific problem that not affecting other functions.

---------------------------------------------------------
[2011]X220-4286-CTO(Brand new, hope nothing bad will happen to it...)[2008]X61-7673-CV2(Slipped upon it, but also working)[2002]X31-2672-BCH(Broke screen, but still working!)
jiv
802.11n
jiv

[ Edited ]

What I'm facing is not an Excel specific problem, and definitely not limited to large Excel files. It occurs even on Word, Chrome, Firefox, anything really. Sometimes when you scroll around too much, the image gets sort of jumbled up. I've always been able to fix it with a simple minimise window then maximise window. It's quite a rare occurence and not really much of a problem (in my opinion).

While I have not seen that particular review of the X220, my experience with this issue (I'm not really sure if it's the same issue, but it sounds somewhat similar) isn't bad enough to make me post it in a review.