Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
ejfiii
Accepted Solution

X220 Appears to Sleep But Doesn't

All, first I tried to get it to sleep in this thread.  I had that working for about a month just fine.  Then I noticed that about half the times I pull it out of my bag it is on fire, the fan is running and the battery is dead or just about dead.  Clearly it is not sleeping correctly.

Either closing the lid of selecting sleep from the start menu does turn off the screen the way it should and it appears to sleep.  But most of the time the fan doesn't actually turn off (I have to hold the corner up to ear to hear/feel the hot air) and I guess its not really sleeping. 

Im not sure what to try to do to troubleshoot this.  I know I really don't want to have to shut down every time I need to close the lid.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Machine info:

UEFI BIOS Version: 8DET50WW (1.20)

UEFI BIOS Date: 2011-07-07

Embedded Controll Version: 8ZHT25WW (1.09)

Machine Type Model: 4286CTO

CPU Type: Intel Core i7-2620M

Installed Memory: 8192MB

SSD main HD

Guru
HiVolt

Re: X220 Appears to Sleep But Doesn't

You should install latest bios 1.26, you're quite behind on 1.20
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
802.11n
RichardW

There were a few times when I was putting my X220 to sleep but afterwards I noticed the sleep LED on the lid wasn't lit, and in fact it wasn't sleeping. My conclusion was that I might have accidentally bumped the mouse, keyboard or touchpad, and interrupted it before it was fully in sleep state. Now I make sure that I actually see the sleep LED lit up before I pack the laptop away, and I haven't had the problem again.

Punch Card
ejfiii

Thanks guys.  I have updated the BIOS and still have the problem. 

RichardW, I have noticed some times that the sleep led does not light up.  I have noticed other times that it does light up but sometime later it is off.  I have noticed other times the sleep led is lit but the fan is still spinning (holding the fan exhaust spot to ear/face).  There is no rhyme or reason to the indicators or behaviors. 

Now, every morning I pull it out of my bag the battery is dead.  Every other time I pull it out of my bag it is very hot to the touch, the fan is running full speed and the battery is depleated.  Sleep is a total failure.  Sleep worked perfectly for two+ months and the last month has been an epic failure- with no changes what so ever on my end. 

It is too bad that OSX has spoiled me with such a good sleep mode that automatically happens when you close the lid.  I was hoping for the same experience from my very expensive pc.  I guess despite my paying for the fastest processor, most ram and SSD drive in the best ultra portable laptop in the Lenovo line I will have to use hibernate and wait 2 minutes every time i want to close and open my laptop. 

EPIC FAIL

802.11n
RichardW

By any chance, are you using an external wireless mouse?...

By any chance, are you using an external wireless mouse? It was the main culprit in my case. Like the touchpad, any mouse activity causes wakeup from sleep. The solution for me was to turn off the mouse whenever I put the laptop to sleep.

What's DOS?
chait

Betreff: X220 Appears to Sleep But Doesn't

I think that some device, probably a USB type wakes up your laptop. Go to Control Panel|Device Manager, then, for example, look at Human Interface Devices... right click the first HID-compliant consumer control device... select Properties... go to the Power Management tab.. make sure the Allow this device to wake up computer is unchecked. Unfortunately, you will have to check all such devices one by one (internal and external) but many will not have the Power Management tab so skip them. Hopefully you will find one or more culprits. Good luck.
Punch Card
ejfiii

Re: By any chance, are you using an external wireless mouse?...

Guys, the EPIC FAILURE was on me and boy do I feel like a dope.  Sure enough, my never used wireless mouse was turned on inside the bottom of my bag.  I got my 5 year old to confess to messing around in my bag which must have turned it off.

Seems like Sleep is now working again.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the wasted bandwidth.