Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Rumi
Accepted Solution

X220 - Card Reader Not Showing in Device Manager

I've tried putting in an SDHC card in my laptop but it doesn't show up.  Looked at Device Manager and there isn't even anything showing up.  I tried installing the drivers provided on the support site but it still isn't working.  What can be done?

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: X220 - Card Reader Not Showing in Device Manager

hey Rumi,

have you tried other SD cards ? could you try one that isn't SDHC and see if your unit detects it.

at the same time, head here :

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014960

and install/reinstall the software , see if this works for you

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Paper Tape
raintonr

Hi,

I have the same problem. Booted up in Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) and the card reader doesn't work.

Looked in the device manager as described in the link but there is no Ricoh PCIe Memory Stick Host Controller under  IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers category.

As described I did try and install the Ricoh card reader driver (v2.14.18.01) but didn't make any difference.

I know this isn't a hardware fault as booted up from a Linux live USB key and the card reader works just fine!

Any other clues?

Paper Tape
raintonr

Re: SOLVED: X220 - Card Reader Not Showing in Device Manager

Well, despite following instructions to download and install the driver manually I finally solved this by running the Thinkvantage Update.

This is not the program that is run by pressing the 'ThinkVantage' key, or windows update. It is a separate program.

Anyhow, after running that the driver was downloaded and the card reader now works.

Paper Tape
DFarmerTX

The default driver package included in recovery and avalible for download for my X220 called "8ass82ww.exe" didn't work for my system.

I still had a "Base System Device" listed in device manager, even after running all Windows and Lenovo updates.

I ended up modifying the risdxc.inf to include the following:

[Ricoh]
%R5U822Desc%=R5U822_Inst,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822
%R5U822Desc%=R5U822_Inst,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822&SUBSYS_21DA17AA

[Ricoh.ntamd64]
%R5U822Desc%=R5U822_Inst.ntamd64,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822
%R5U822Desc%=R5U822_Inst.ntamd64,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822&SUBSYS_21DA17AA

This allowed the card to work fine.  I wonder if they've recently changed the multicard reader for this system?  It's a 4286-CTO.

Blue Screen Again
rain_maker

Many thanks to DFarmerTx. Had same problem with card reader driver, fixed it using described method.

What's DOS?
paulrd

I have tried all the above to try to solve this problem. Still my card reader does not work. I cannot find a working driver for this device. It does work under Ubuntu however. Any chance this will be resolved?

What's DOS?
paulrd

Re: SOLVED: X220 - Card Reader Not Showing in Device Manager

This solution does not work for me.
Fanfold Paper
X220lap

[ Edited ]

DFarmerTX wrote:

I ended up modifying the risdxc.inf to include the following:

[Ricoh]
%R5U822Desc%=R5U822_Inst,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822
%R5U822Desc%=R5U822_Inst,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822&SUBSYS_21DA17AA

[Ricoh.ntamd64]
%R5U822Desc%=R5U822_Inst.ntamd64,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822
%R5U822Desc%=R5U822_Inst.ntamd64,PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822&SUBSYS_21DA17AA

This allowed the card to work fine.  ...

My X220 4286-CTO [-Configured To Order] Win 7 Prof 64-bit had been apparently working OK until recently when I noticed that Ricoh SD card reader was not showing up in “Computer” nor in Device Manager which was showing “Base System Device”  with a warning. I tried “updating” the driver but Windows reported “Driver not found” even after un-re-installing RICOH_Media_Driver_v2.14.18.01 [8ass82ww.exe].

Windows & Lenovo ThinkVantage System updates all current as at 1 Jun 2013.

The X220 is usually docked in an UltraBase 3. As others have found, the SD card reader continued to work OK in Linux (dual-boot Mint 13). After a number of Windows re-boots with no improvement I undocked the X220 & re-booted. The card reader finally reappeared in Windows. Whether this improvement was really connected to undocking I have no idea. This problem has now occurred more than once.

When the card reader is behaving properly the “Ricoh PCIe SDXC/MMC Host Controller” Details/Hardware ID shows as PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E823&SUBSYS_21DA17AA&REV_04 This matches an ID in the risdxc.inf file. Whereas when the system is reporting the “Base System Device” problem, System Information … Problem Devices shows a PNP Device ID of PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822&SUBSYS_21DA17AA&REV_07 Note the “822” same as DFarmerTX mentions in the modified risdxc.inf. Since this “822” does not match any entry in the original risdxc.inf I guess it is no surprise that a driver cannot be found!

DFarmerTX: did you replace the lines in risdxc.inf, or did you add lines? Since it appears that on my X220 the device is sometimes found as an “…822…” and sometimes as an “…823…” I’m tempted to think that adding the extra device IDs might be a workaround. What say you?

This leaves the puzzle for Lenovo as to why the device would sometimes enumerate as an “…822…07” and sometimes as an “…823…04” The “wrong” ID looks too tidy to be a corruption/misread.

Token Ring
rsbrux

[ Edited ]

X220lap wrote:

DFarmerTX: did you replace the lines in risdxc.inf, or did you add lines? Since it appears that on my X220 the device is sometimes found as an “…822…” and sometimes as an “…823…” I’m tempted to think that adding the extra device IDs might be a workaround. What say you?

@X220lap: Did you have any luck with adding the new HW IDs (822) to the existing ones (823)? I was confronted with the same problem on my X230T and wound up installing the driver twice. Because of a reinstallation from scratch, I am now confronted with the same issue. If it works by including both HW IDs in the same INF file, that seems a lot more elegant!

P.S. This time around, I didn't encounter the problem with the "dual identirty" of the multicard reader.

I'm not sure anymore what I did the last time around, but this time I uninstalled the existing Ricoh driver with the HW ID 823 (using "Programs & Features" in Control Panel) before installing the driver with the INF file modified to the 822 HW ID.  So far, everything works fine (keep fingers crossed!)

BTW, in my case, there is a more significant discrepancy in the HW IDs:

originally in INF file: PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E823&SUBSYS_00011179

found in Device Manager: PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_E822&SUBSYS_220317AA

I purposely left off the REV number.

Now that it is working I can't even find it in Device Manager, even when I "Show Hidden Devices"!

X320T running Windows 8 Pro x64