Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
SuperRoach
Accepted Solution

X220 - Expresscard 2.0 Support / Full Super Speed USB 3.0 (i7) Support?

Hello there,

I'm interested in finding out more about the X220 - In particular the actual bandwidth available to the i7 Version of the X220 with it's USB 3 port.

I'd like to be able to use the Black Magic Design Intensity Shuttle with this laptop, however it requires a Super Speed USB 3.0 Port.

It's common for laptops to only use a single PCIe lane interconnect, giving the USB3 Port only 2.5gbps of available bandwidth. This won't be enough to allow that capture card to work :smileysad:

A similar situation also exists for the Expresscard slot - To be able to support Expresscard v2.0, It needs to provide 5gbps (2x PCIe v1 lanes). If it does this, It's possible I can buy an USB 3 Expresscard which will have enough bandwidth to use the card.

In short I would like to know if the super speed USB 3 port can actually function at the intended speed, and is not crippled to half rate.

Running an 4286CTO - X220 i7 2620m, 4gig Ram, 320gig HDD. 6 Cell battery
Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: X220 - Expresscard 2.0 Support / Full Super Speed USB 3.0 (i7) Support?

hey SuperRoach,

i recommend getting in contact with Lenovo Australia via the link below >>

http://www.lenovo.com/contact/au/en/

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,317

or ask the Lenovo_ANZ twitter account.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Token Ring
SuperRoach

Just following up this post since I bought the actual laptop, I can confirm it does have expresscard 2.0 support in theory (it has a pcie 2.0 x1 port), but more importantly to me it has a super speed USB 3.0 port, running on a PCIe 2.0 x1 lane. Great news!

Running an 4286CTO - X220 i7 2620m, 4gig Ram, 320gig HDD. 6 Cell battery