Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
jsyang

Re: X220 IPS display problem - weird bright spot on the screen

Same thing here. I can see a bright spot (size of 11px by 11px). 

It's very noticeable and annoying.

Is there any one who fixed this problem with depot warranty?

(If so, please share your experience.)

Thanks,

Yang

- X220 4286 CTO, i7-2620M, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, IPS,Webcam, BT 3.0, Intel 6250 WiFi, FP Reader, Win7 Pro 64

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

that should be covered under warranty. I have a bright spot of around 2 x 2 pixel.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
SCSI Port
NSGundy

Just had this fixed yesterday on my machine under 1 year standard warranty. However, I brought it to a repair shop after letting them know about the issue a week earlier and they replaced it within on hour while I was strolling through the city. No more bright spots for now.

Best regards,
Gundy
X220 4286 CTO, i7-2620M, 8GB RAM (2x4), 320GB HDD+Intel mSATA 80 GB, IPS display, BT 3.0, Intel 6205 WiFi, Finger Print Reader, Win7 Pro 64
Fanfold Paper
steinm

[ Edited ]

Hello from Germany,

I have a bright spot on my IPS-Panel and the Lenovo-Service told me, that its not covered under warranty... I have used this x220 4-6 times and carried it outside the house once. The bright spot was there when I bought it, and the store where I bought it, told me to send it in and get it fixed.. SO now I cant get a new X220 in exchange for the defect one and I have a bright spot on a brand new IPS-Panel.

My X220 is still in the repaircenter, I hope it comes back in one piece and without scratches (heard bad things about those repaircenters).

Has anyone an idea what to do now? I think of taking legal action...

Paper Tape
risktaker

Steinm, I had the same problem. I just sent my laptop in a depot box. My laptop is less than 7 months old and they told me it could cost me $700 to fix the problem and that the problem is not covered under the base warranty. This is pretty outrageous. I contacted one of the Lenovo staff on this site, and I am hoping that they get back to me. 

I have 4 white spots showing up on the left side of my screen. I might just have to tell them to send back my laptop unrepaired because I am not going to pay $700 for a laptop that cost me $900 for a problem that is not even due to negligence. 

Paper Tape
risktaker

Thank you lak_sg! Looks like Lenovo replaced my LCD screen and shipped it for free. I will update once I receive my system. 

Punch Card
Amphibulus

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have the same issue. I got that issue few years back with my T43 after 3 yrs of maltreatment (dropping it couples of time, moving it around holding it open by the screen and other crazy stuff, and all this on a daily basis). So I guess it was "normal" pressure spot after 3 yrs. And ofcourse it was replaced with a new panel no question asked.

Now I have this X220 since this summer, and I nearly never move it. Most of the time it's in the docking screen turned off. And guess what, I already have those spots. So I guess it's a pretty cheap panel without any protection (that's probably why there is so much flex).

So yeah, the X220 is not as good as the T43 and no even close to what the X300 was (best laptop I ever had). Now the price have drop from 3000$ to 1200$ but the quality have drop too. I will get this IPS panel replaced, and for me it will be my last thinkpad, time to move to something better.

ThinkPad X220, I7 2620M, 8GB RAM, Intel 320 160GB SSD, IPS screen, USB 3.0, Bluethoot, Cam, Win 7 pro 64, BIOS: 1.17, Model: 4286-CTO, Fabrication date: 07/11
Fanfold Paper
EphesiansSIx

Mine recently developed this issue. I was worried it would take a while to search for something like "X220 LCD bright spot" but here it is - looks like a known design defect. Will call for next-day-service replacement part. :smileysad: Funny, when the tech replaced my mobo (NIC issue), he said the X220 screens were fragile. Maybe because he's been repalcing so many screens related to this issue.

What's DOS?
saichele

Grr. 

My laptop (purchased a couple months ago) has a similar problem. I sent it into Lenovo a few days ago and received a call from a representative today telling me that the spot is due to "pressure damage" and a cracked LCD. This machine has lived on my desk and/or in a thick padded travel case since I've had it, so I'm convinced the problem is due to a manufacturing defect and not my fault. Lenovo wants to charge me $750(!!!) to replace the screen. 

Suffice to say I'm pissed off and will absolutely not be purchasing another Lenovo machine ever. Thinkpads are supposedly bomb-proof - clearly that is not the case as I've babied this machine. I will of course be leaving reviews on merchant sites as well to discourage others from purchasing this machine once I have sold mine. 

Punch Card
Werewolf

Yet another unhappy customer. After 3 months of light use (most time stays in dock) IPS screen developed two brighter spots. After week third, a bit away from previous two spots. Yesterday i noticed fourth.

What is the problem with IPS screens? Are they completely unreliable?