Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
irchow

Re: X220 IPS display problem - weird bright spot on the screen

I also have bright spots on my screen.  I noticed the first one (middle of screen) a few weeks after I bought the X220 and have recently begun to notice a second one (right side of screen).  I don't treat this notebook any harder than my previous Dell laptop and I'm disappointed with the quality of this laptop screen.  I felt I paid a premium for this "quality" computer.

Paper Tape
TheSuperJWC

[ Edited ]

The bight spots look very similar to the diffuser damage inside the LCD panel. 

FYI, the light passage of a TFT LCD panel is from the light source (LED or CCFL) --> Acrylic panel --> vertical polarizer, horizontal polarizer --> diffuser --> LCD panel --> your eyes. After passing through the two polarizers, the light rays are alighned in parallel and the diffuzer scatters evenly. If the pixels of the LCD panel bcome black, the corresponding light rays becomes blocked.

The surface of the undamaged diffuser inside a LCD panel looks frosty. If you scratch the surface with some sort of pressure, the frosty coating disappears and the straight light rays go through the diffuser and looks brighter/intensive than the other areas.

I don't know whether the damage is caused by user's fingers or manufacturing errors or some other effects.

Paper Tape
kong6989

I have 4 very visible white spots on my IPS screen. Sent it back for repair, got charged for $750. I guess warranty means nothing. I am trying to talk sense to lenovo staff, but it's kind of hard to find the person who really knows what he is talking about. Even though it is not easy to get this issue resolved, I encourage whoever having the same problem with their laptops still in warranty send it to lenovo. With more laptops to be repaired in their depot, they may, hopefully, start to realize that they need to deal with this.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,326
Solutions: 285

kong6989

Can you send me a PM with your case number and your contact details?  Also the MT / Serial of your unit will be helpful.

I'd like to look into this...

Thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
Novak921

Hi Mark,

I'm assuming it'll be the same consenus from you that our LCD spots are not covered under warranty but this thread is 4 pages long now and it does not seem like a coincidence that everyone's laptops are developing white spots.  I personally as others have said, baby my X220 and have not done anything that would cause the white spots.

Is there an official statement from Lenovo in regards to the white spot issues that we are having?

Thank you for coming on here Mark, It's nice to see Lenovo monitoring their forums.

X220~i5 2520M~8GB~Vertex2~IPS~Win7Prox64~ It's amazing.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
O8h7w

I have two bright spots, about the size of a Trackpoint - and one of them actually corresponds to the Trackpoint. Which had me thinking maybe I've been too rough with this more fragile Thinkpad.

I never expected my ThinkPad to be fragile in the first place, but when I found it flexy and creaky, I decided to be careful with it. I naturally guessed that I failed as I still didn't expect it could be overly fragile. But this thread indicates the opposite.

Now I have two spots that are suddenly not my doing, and therefore even more disturbing, and I have only 12 days left of the warranty of this machine. I'm calling support as soon as I have had something to eat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A few thoughts that fled from the head of O8h7w
Fanfold Paper
andrasz14

I have two of them in the lower left corner - right now I could not care less since they do not bother me. 

Is there anyone who's laptop has developed more white spots over time? 

Punch Card
Werewolf

[ Edited ]

andrasz14 wrote:

Is there anyone who's laptop has developed more white spots over time? 

Unfortunately - yes. This seems common, that over time count of spots or area, covered by spot tend to increase somewhat.

Sigh, Premium display expected to be flawless, but as seen from multiple threads (probably fixed now ghosting issue, light bleeding, white spots) - are very fragile or problematic. Still seems like this affects only IPS screens, since no regular, non-IPS TN screen owners complained.

And you are right - white spots can be somewhat tolerated, because those are most visible on bright white background, but still ruins "premium screen" feeling.

Fanfold Paper
andrasz14

Oh my has this gotten worse ... now, in addition to the bright spots there is about 6-8 dead (black) pixels scattered over the screen and massive ghosting issues. 

This has really become hard to work with :smileyindifferent:

Paper Tape
philistine

Oh gosh.

This problem with the IPS screens has been around for a year now, and lenovo still have not found a remedy?

I just (a few days ago) purchased a X220 w/ IPS screen :robotsad: 

This is going to be interesting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIY = Do-It-Yourself BIY = Break-It-Yourself .....I am the latter