Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
jamestan

(X220) Is rapidboot delaying the showing of desktop gadgets?

Hi. There's a slight irritant which gripes me everytime i bootup.

The bootup is pretty fast (i'm using the seagate momentus XT) and the desktop shows up pretty fast ready for me to click and run programs. but i noticed a significant delay in the starting of the desktop gadgets, like once everything has settled (the task tray all loaded and everything is clickable), it takes like 5-6 seconds or so before the gadgets suddenly appear rapidly. it felt almost like the computer purposedly delayed the start of the gadgets.

is this a function of rapidboot, where it delays these "not important" services? Thanks!

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: (X220) Is rapidboot delaying the showing of desktop gadgets?

Probably.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Paper Tape
pascanu

How hard was it to upgrade your HD to the Momentus XT? My understanding is that it is 9.5 mm thick but the HD bay in the X220 is only supposed to aceept HD 7 mm thick. Can you please give us more details?

TIA

Punch Card
motomandk

I am also waiting for Seagate to release the Momentus XT hybrid 7mm disks.  I have the 250Gb hybrid in my Lenovo 3000 resulting in fantastic improvement.

So if anyone know how to fit the 9.5mm drive in the X220 so also want to hear about it!!:smileyhappy:

/Henrik - Denmark
X220 - i7-2620, 8GB, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I just LOVE my X220!)
Guru
ColonelONeill

If you have a platter drive already, you can just get eBoostr and add an 8GB SD card + 512MB of RAM to create your own hybrid drive without a) wasting a drive and b) getting a Seagate brand drive and possibly c) spending less money.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

jamestan wrote:

Hi. There's a slight irritant which gripes me everytime i bootup.

The bootup is pretty fast (i'm using the seagate momentus XT) and the desktop shows up pretty fast ready for me to click and run programs. but i noticed a significant delay in the starting of the desktop gadgets, like once everything has settled (the task tray all loaded and everything is clickable), it takes like 5-6 seconds or so before the gadgets suddenly appear rapidly. it felt almost like the computer purposedly delayed the start of the gadgets.

is this a function of rapidboot, where it delays these "not important" services? Thanks!

That is indeed a function of RapidBoot.

You can easily uninstall RapidBoot in Control Panel to see whether you prefer having it or not.

(Those with SSD don't need it.)

Note: A new version of RapidBoot was recently released: 1.11 (30 Oct 2011).

motomandk wrote:

I am also waiting for Seagate to release the Momentus XT hybrid 7mm disks.  I have the 250Gb hybrid in my Lenovo 3000 resulting in fantastic improvement.

So if anyone know how to fit the 9.5mm drive in the X220 so also want to hear about it!!:smileyhappy:

A better way to go IMHO is to add an mSATA SSD, which adds both capacity and more performance than a hybrid HHD.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Token Ring
orion9727

that is a delay start in win 7.
some items have a delay auto start so the os boots faster.
vista started that and win 7 added to them.
things that are not vital to the boot process or core system can have a delay auto start.
that hd you have is a slow one as well.
seagates not known for speed.
rapid boot really only exists if you have a ssd.
the software try to curb certin auto starts or conficts from windows built in reporting.to understand services better go to blackviper .com and read his page.
he been doing this for over a decade.
a really good ssd wont do that but really really look at them as they have issues.
i have zero issues on my samsung 830.
seagate agian very slow i like the japanese drives for platter ones best.
Token Ring
orion9727

i agree msata is far better but one must pick the proper ssd as well.
i would not do a sandforce,there power heavy even if there reads and writes are close they do compressed files different so there no such a speed demon like sites claim.intel sells a msata made for ready boot at a great price.
also dont buy a super small one as most as them are the old msata eeepc drives they super slow and sttutter.
however msata still only sata 2 not sata 3 like on the sata 0 port the platter drive is on.
msata drives tend to run slower in the same brand controller then there biger brothers.
really dose anyone need larger then 64 gig in a notebook when a platter can be converted for 15-20 bucks to a usb back up drive.
they even sell full crypt back up drives if you worry what on it or you can DIY.
the best possible way is a sata 3 on port 0 that a M4 or a samsung 830 and they run 140 tops in 64gig.
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

orion9727 wrote:
[1] that is a delay start in win 7.
some items have a delay auto start so the os boots faster.
vista started that and win 7 added to them.
things that are not vital to the boot process or core system can have a delay auto start.
[2] that hd you have is a slow one as well.
seagates not known for speed.
[3] rapid boot really only exists if you have a ssd.
the software try to curb certin auto starts or conficts from windows built in reporting.to understand services better go to blackviper .com and read his page.
he been doing this for over a decade.
[4] a really good ssd wont do that but really really look at them as they have issues.
i have zero issues on my samsung 830.
seagate agian very slow i like the japanese drives for platter ones best.
i agree msata is far better but one must pick the proper ssd as well.
[5] i would not do a sandforce,there power heavy even if there reads and writes are close they do compressed files different so there no such a speed demon like sites claim.intel sells a msata made for ready boot at a great price.
[6] also dont buy a super small one as most as them are the old msata eeepc drives they super slow and sttutter.
[7] however msata still only sata 2 not sata 3 like on the sata 0 port the platter drive is on.
msata drives tend to run slower in the same brand controller then there biger brothers.
[8] really dose anyone need larger then 64 gig in a notebook when a platter can be converted for 15-20 bucks to a usb back up drive.
they even sell full crypt back up drives if you worry what on it or you can DIY.
[9] the best possible way is a sata 3 on port 0 that a M4 or a samsung 830 and they run 140 tops in 64gig.

Please don't spread rumors and bad information:

1. Windows 7 boots faster because the boot process has been better optimized than prior versions.
    What delays startup items is Lenovo RapidBoot, not Windows 7 itself.
  2. Seagate HDD have similar speed to comparable drives of other top brands (Western Digital, Hitachi) --
    real world performance differences are relatively small.
  3. Lenovo RapidBoot works on either SSD or HDD, works best on HDD.
  4. Major brands of SSD work quite well.
  5. SandForce data compression works quite well and is not a power hog -- see
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vertex-3-sandforce-ssd,2869-3.html
  6. The speed issue with smaller SSD has to do with fewerf memory channels, not the interface.
  7. The best mSATA drives have performance comparable to the best 2nd generation standard SSD.
  8. How much storage you need depends on what you do with the computer --
    my X220 has 400 GB of SSD+HDD storage, of which almost 300 GB is currently in use.
  9. SATA rev 3 does not yet deliver a substantial real world performace boost. [see article above]

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Paper Tape
pascanu

@JNavas How did you put 2 HDs in your X220? I also have a X220 (core i5 version) but AFAIK it only has one HD bay.

I changed my orriginal Hitachi 320 GB with a 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT.

- boot time decresead from ~ 160 secconds to ~ 70

- no other notable speed improvements (programs started very fast even with the orriginal drive)

- the Seagate is a little noisier; while the orriginal one was completely silence this one can be heard from time to time, very faint "bee like" sound; the noise was a little more audible in the begining, after a recent FW upgrade from Seagate it's much better

- overall the only things I gained was boot speed and a little more space; was it worth it?!