Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
SomeThomas

X220 - Keyboard suddenly stopped working.

[ Edited ]

When I woke up this morning and went to my laptop every time I pressed a key it would register as multiple keys being pressed (for example pressing 'O' would registers as pressing P, O, I, and would turn down the volume).

Upon noticing this I checked to make sure my regional keyboard settings were correct (they are). I then shut down my laptop and cleaned the keyboard with canned air. When I turned it back on my keyboard was simply not working. Everything except the mouse pad and power button won't do anything at all when I touch them.

In summary I've done the following.

-Made sure I have the correct regional keyboard settings (I do)

-Cleaned the keyboard with canned air.

-Attempted to travel to Middle-Earth for Elven tech support but Gandalf wouldn't let me pass.

-Restarted my computer multiple times.

-Plugged in an external USB keyboard to see if that would work (it did and is how I'm typing now).

-Checked for foreign substances but none were found.

-Did a virus scan.

Update: Keys are working again but still registering every press as if multiple keys are being pressed.

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: X220 - Keyboard suddenly stopped working.

Hello Thomas,

Kindly uninstall the keyboard driver from the device manager then restart the system and check.

If the issue persist then update the BIOS

You can download the BIOS from mentioned below web link.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8duj14us.exe

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

What's DOS?
lyeisu

after get some automatic updates for Win 7 enterprise, keyboard and wireless are both down.

Bios renew and keyboard driver uninstallment did not work; need to restore system.

Paper Tape
NanaL

I have the exact same problem with my numbers on my g560 both top row numbers and numeric keypad

802.11n
kvirtanen

[ Edited ]

i've got this too. woke up this morning to find out that B, N and SPACE don't work anymore. apparently the LEFT, RIGHT and DOWN keys are gone, too.

I'm writing this on the on-screen keyboard.

http://wirtanen.tk/ -- web portfolio & cv
Paper Tape
fitito

KVIRTANEN:

I have the exactly the same problem. The same keys doesn´t work. Did you fix it?

thanks in advance for your answer

802.11n
kvirtanen

I'm afraid it required service. I had to send the machine to repair, but probably could have just replaced the keyboard.
http://wirtanen.tk/ -- web portfolio & cv