Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WWAN
Puppy

Re: X220: Plastic strip loose - no warranty???

I'm wondering what reason is behind having the top cover made from multiple parts ? Older ThinkPads had one-piece cover which is rock solid.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

The wwan and wlan antenna can be imtegrated by using this system. In the X6x system the wwan antenna is external.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
shaneguo

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I got the same thing which happened within half a year after my purchase. The local Lenovo repair center was not willing to help as they said it is not covered by warranty. They would charge me for several hundred bucks to replace the back plastic piece. It doesn't even make sense. Pls help your loyal customer. The US rep does not know how to deal with it either.

Thanks

community supermod
erik

Puppy wrote:

I'm wondering what reason is behind having the top cover made from multiple parts ? Older ThinkPads had one-piece cover which is rock solid.

this practice started with the X200.   the top strip is plastic to allow wireless signal throughput.   the LCD cover is magnesium alloy for strength and protection.

previous models used focused areas of plastic to improve signal transmission.   the current method is markedly better although does (arguably) impede upon aesthetics slightly.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Punch Card
eduedix

[ Edited ]

Hi,
I am very happy that your issue has been resolved. Here is my story below,

I left my PC at PERCOM in Munich, because of the same reason ( plastic cover loose) and 1 other issue. They took the machine and sent it to the manufacturer and had it tested there and concluded that it was my fault, although I am pretty much sure I have not caused this issue. Besides, PERCOM charges me 100€ to get my laptop back and their reason is that they had to spend time on the device because the defects were mechanical damages by user ( that they claim, but its absolutely not true. )

So i need your consultation from now on, what could you suggest me to do? They want me to pay them 100€, although I do not have it repaired ( and although I am sure it is a manufactural issue ). I have contacted some magazines already that this is not legitimate and have been waiting for their response.

what do you suggest me to do from now on?

Paper Tape
tulldyaso

I have a similar problem, the hinge on my x121e broke, and while it doesn't affect my daily use of the machine, I am worried that continued use will eventually cause the case to crack.

I took it to a service centre and was told it was not covered by the warranty. I just reviewed the warranty and found no clause that states that this would not be covered. I didn't do any thing to cause this problem - it has never been dropped, only opened and closed with normal use.

Surely a laptop should be built to withstand gentle opening and closing for more than 7 months, I am very disappointed with firstly the fact that it broke and second the lack of support from Lenovo. Can anyone explain to me why this isn't covered by the warranty?

Thanks

Paper Tape
Marben

I received my x220 yesterday and noticed the exact same thing today up in the right corner of the lid. This is my sixthThinkpad and I really had greater expectations than to find that build quality is going down and that Lenovo refuses to take responsibility for poor quality/quality control. It is also disappointing to find that it is difficult to get in touch with their support via email or phone. These two factors are the most imporatant to me: reliability and efficient support, and Lenovo does not provide any of these. I really had expected a lot more. Can anyone please advice me what manufacturer/brand takes quality, reliability and service seriously?

What's DOS?
crahan

I wasn't so lucky as the topic starter who had this fixed under warranty. I noticed the same issue last week so I opened a ticket with Lenovo. The machine's still under warranty but they told me the issue is not covered by it.

Very dissappointed as the plastic cover is loose right at the spot where you're supposed to put your finger to open the cover. I'm worried that opening and closing the lid will make it even worse over time.

I asked to have the case escalated but they refused. Not happy with Lenovo's customer service at the moment.