Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
sparkyshark

X220 Sleep Issues

[ Edited ]

X220 WIFI SLEEP DOESN'T WORK AFTER SLEEP INC BRIGHTNESS CONTROLS> PLEASE HELP TRIED EVERYTHING!

Hello,

I have an X220 model 4291. Windows 7 64bit. 

I use the sleep feature consistently. I have rebuilt it at least 10 times now with different driver orders and have read many web pages relating to this issue. Its taken a massive amount of my time & I'm about to give up and just get rid of it. So far no driver installation order has resolved the situation & I am at the latest software levels inc the bios.

I've also unchecked the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and messed around with the other power management options to no avail.

Currently only the Lenevo applications sit on top of the base build and no other applications have been installed.

So wondering if anyone has a miracle cure who had the same issue and can HELP ME as its driving me absolutely nuts. 

Cheers,

Sparky

Moderator Message:  Topic edited  - plus you need to state the problem more clearly. as it not very evident what it actually is..... and why you think that what you have tried already would/should/could change anything related to the perceived issue.

Paper Tape
sparkyshark

Re: X220 Sleep Issues

The issue occurs when the laptop is put into sleep mode and upon resume you lose the wifi card. So if I put the computer into sleep manually using the "FN F4" keys or if it goes to sleep by the parameters set in the power options i.e.. Sleep in 15 minutes.

You can tell that there is a problem by looking at the sleep light when the lid is closed. This for a while is lit and then at some point is totally switches off, while it is lit if you resume the wifi comes back okay. However when the sleep light is no longer lit, 100% of the time when you resume using the power button, opening the lid doesn't seem to restart it, there is no wifi and the only way to re-enable it is to reboot the machine. No "FN F5" keys work and the OS says the card is switched off, "try switching on and reconnecting". The manual switch on the side of the laptop also does nothing. The brightness controls also are affected and cannot be adjusted as reported in the other threads.

There was some mention of installing lenovo drivers and up to date versions in various orders but I still haven't managed to crack it. The WIFI is also slow on this laptop and during iplayer viewing I get insufficient bandwidth problems. Only this laptop suffers and our other household pcs/laptops which are much older do not suffer from this even if you are directly opposite the router.

The card is an Intel 6205. If I need to rebuild again that's fine but I've never had to rebuild a machine for such a trivial issue in the past.

Look forward to some help. Any questions let me know.

Paper Tape
sparkyshark

Anyone? Can I contact Lenovo direct about this issue? If so anyone got a contact email address/tel number?
dgf
What's DOS?
dgf

[ Edited ]

I got X220 4290-W4H with 8GB RAM, 120GB OZC Nocti msata SSD, and 320GB original HDD.

I have the same problems as you. When I put my laptop into standby for a long time (a night), the moon on the case does not light anymore. If I open the lid the laptop will not power up, but pressing power gets him back to life. The OS resumes from standby, but FN does not work at all. Furthermore my OS reports, that the hardware killswitch for WIFI but not for bluetooth is set. Surprisingly it is the same switch for both on the left side. If I swap FN and CTRL, this will be revertet and CTRL is sitting on its old place.

Time is important for this bug to happen, but it seems that there is certain propability that it can happen anytime, when in standby. Usually does not happen, when I put the laptop just for 2 to 3 hours into standby. But in rare cases I got this within 30 minutes of standby.

I tried this with Linux (Arch Linux) and Windows 7 (both 64bit). I tried Linux with BIOS and UEFI and Windows with BIOS, but in any case the problems remains. I removed 4GB RAM and the problems were still present. I updated the BIOS and it got worse. Now with BIOS version 1.26 sometimes the numlock is also set. My next try will be removing the SSD and only boot using the HDD.

Fanfold Paper
mzakharo

[ Edited ]

Count me in as well on this one - My system also experiences exactly the same issue. One additional annoyance to note - the 'lid close' sensor is also disabled when this happens. I am running latest bios upgrade (available today) and all latest lenovo software packages. This issue also happens when running a custom OS, like Ubuntu, as well as vanilla Windows 7 x64 home.

My system is i7 + 6205. I doubt it is a wireless issue, I think since all 'lenovo' custom switches malfunction (function keys, lid sensor, wireless disable switch) (except the power button), then it is a motherboard/bios issue. Wireless just happens to be a victim. Hibernating and then resuming from hibernate solves the issue (as well as complete restart of course), which leads me to believe that bios software gets stuck in some 'bad' state, to which a power cycle is a cure. Lenovo missed this issue in their tests probably because by default, systems are configured to hibernate after 2-3 hours of sleep (depending on power plan), but if users let their laptop sleep 'indefinitely', the issue occurs given enough sleep time. I still cannot reliably reproduce this consistently, the bug is so random in nature, sometimes I would go for months without experiencing it, and sometimes it happens a few times a week.

Could we work together and find a way to reproduce it consistently? I have had a few ideas - maybe the system state before entering sleep is important, like amount of Free ram, time of day, CPU load.

Is there a way to extract a system state for this? I tried looking into Windows logs, but there is nothing there. Is there a way to dump the bios memory state, I think this would be of most help to Lenovo engineers.

Paper Tape
dermax

Just count me in, I experience exactly the same issues (Intel Wifi 6300). It's very poor that the problem is not being acknowledged by Lenovo at all, almost one year after release.

jiv
802.11n
jiv

I have this issue with hibernate. Sleep seems to work fine.

Fanfold Paper
mzakharo

[ Edited ]

Just happened to me today again. Here is a list of buttons/switches that were disabled by this bug:

Microphone mute

wireless disable switch (stuck at disable position )

Fn keys lid close/open sensor

ThinkVantage key

The LED around power button was off (it should be periodically pulsating during sleep)

Still working:

rest of keyboard

speaker mute/volume keys

power button

Since function keys were completely disabled, I decided to try whether it is still possible to use some features, usually controlled by them (like Fn + PgUp- which triggers ThinkLight). As a result, I was still able to control ThinkLight through software (TPFanControl) , which means that it was just the hardware interface that malfunctions here.