Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
magicmushroom69

Re: X220 - USB 3.0 issue

I only get the "it could be faster" message when connecting the USB 3.0 drive, into one of the USB 2.0 ports.

When connecting to the blue USB 3.0 port, no errors appear and i get full speed access.

I have since bought one of those expresscard USB 3.0 cards, and can also run the drive from either of those ports at speeds faster than USB 2.0 (not sure if its full speed, as the hard disk isn't fast enough to max out the USB 3.0 connection!), even without the silly power adapter they provide with the card.

What's DOS?
joemama211

I just purchased a Lenovo y480 but I have the same wd 3.0 HD. My problem is that it does not recognize the HD unless I unplug it and wiggle it 30 times and even then it would disconnect. The hd would work flawlessly on the 2.0 port. I ended up getting a new wd 3.0 cable (new one was more flexible and thinner) but it seem to connect and work fine now. Worth a shot.
Fanfold Paper
Justin_KM

I'm one Win 7 / 64 bit using an external  Seagate Expansion USB 3.0 drive. It works fine with USB 2.0, but when using the 3.0 port the drive often refuses to unmount, and sometimes even when it does unmount, when it is reconnected Windows will insist that it be scanned for errors. USB 3.0 is unusable and I can only use the USB 2.0 ports.

At first I thought it was a problem with the drive, but other people have the same drive and no problems. The common trait between people with problems is Renesas hardware. I have updated to the latest drivers and nothing has changed. Others have updated their firmware with success, but I'm not sure which firmware I need or if there is even an update for the X220. I see nothing on the Lenovo site, and Renesas's site is terrible.

A solution for this would be welcome. I specifically purchaced a model with the i7 processor because I wanted USB 3.0 and that was the only way to get it. I like the computer very much, but currently I feel like I was cheated out of a couple hundred dollars by paying for a feature that doesn't work.