Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
atomicminded

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

shixx263 wrote:

There is also exist in my x220. The cpu will work constantly at the lowest frequency (800MHz) using AC adapter (no battery).

That is normal. The laptop was NOT designed to run without a battery.

Fanfold Paper
zygomatic

shixx263,

Throttling to 800Mhz with the AC adapter in and the battery removed is a separate issue/"design feature". 

What most of us are talking about in the more recent posts is throttling at high CPU/GPU load with the battery in and the 65W AC adapter.  It apparently only affects i7 2620m X220s.  This link has a good summary: http://digitalchumps.com/featured-electronics/132-features/7455-lenovo-x220-i7-2620m-cpugpu-throttli...

Paper Tape
Noonien

[ Edited ]

I'm seeing throttling to 800 Mhz after running OCCT's GPU test for only a few minutes.

I have an i7 and have to unplug power cable to remove the throttle.

Punch Card
atomicminded

Noonien wrote:

I'm seeing throttling to 800 Mhz after running OCCT's GPU test for only a few minutes.

I have an i7 and have to unplug power cable to remove the throttle.

Another solution is to get a 90watt adapter.  However, this solution will make your touchpad unstable, so it's still not proper.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Just for clarification, the touchpad issue has been reported by users of the UltraSlim  90W travel adapter, not the regular 90W adapter:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/90w-adapter-leads-to-unusable-jumpy-touchpad/m...

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Punch Card
driekus

@bananaman

Thanks for the clarification, was just about to ask the same question.

Blue Screen Again
mellospace

[ Edited ]

Ok, I just started doing the testing today. Here is what I found about my x220...By the way, I have not updated anything on my laptop, got the bios 1.12, 9-cell battery, 65 watt adapter and have not updated lenovo power manager (which it ask me to everytime I open it) and also have not performed any windows updates yet.

First, I tried the occt gpu test without the ac power and got no thottle. This was just to confirm no throttle with battery only. Fine.

Next, I plugged the ac adapter and performed the test again, in the first 2-3min, got throttle to 800mhz occassionally, then went back to normal. Then after about 4min, got the perma throttle to 800mhz. Tried to change the power settings, nothing. Stuck at 800mhz. Then unplug the ac, right away went back to normal, then plug the ac back right away within seconds.

Next, with the ac adapter plugged, I perfomed the test again, now it was totally normal. Run occt for about 6min, no throttle. Then added prime95 torture test for about 3min and it throttled to stock 2700mhz and gpu clock 1000-1050.  In total, I run occt for about 15min, temperature got to 89-90 degrees celsius.

Dont know if this is revelant, but will continue with my testing now and will update on what happens. Will try another occt test now, and then will reboot and try it again. I'll post the screenshots in a bit.

UPDATE ON MY TESTING...

I ran a 2nd test of occt for about 35min and got no throttle, then added prime95 for a few min, and throttle again to stock 2700mhz same as before. Core Temperature got as high as 95 during this 40 min tests.

Then close all programs, and unplug and replug the ac adapter and performed a 3rd occt test for about 15 minutes and got no throttle. So at the moment after I got the perma throttle to 800mhz the first time I run occt and did the unplug and replug, I have not experienced the throttle again.

Now, will shutdown the laptop and turn it on again and perform the test once again. Will also change the performance on battery power so that it is not "maximum performance" and see if that makes a difference. At the moment I have both to maximum performance since I started testing.

2ND UPDATE....

Ok, I already changed the power setting to optimized and still after my first unplug and plug back, no throttling issues.

Then I went ahead and shutdown the laptop. I unplugged it while it was shutdown, then plug it again, and start it up. Again, the first test got the perma throttle in about 5min. I did the same thing, unplug and plug it back right way. Performed a 2nd test and no throttling after the replug. After the unplug/replug, the cpu doesn't even experience those occassional drops to 800mhz which happens during the first test after turning on the laptop so this is definitely a power problem experienced on boot up since it is not experienced anymore after the 1st time you get rid of the perma throttle.

Ok, I just shutdown the laptop while it was plugged and not experiencing the throttling (since i did the unplug/plug
process) and again got the perma throttle on my first test. Again, performed the unplug/plug back process and boom, no more throttling on the next test or on anything else that I do after.

In conclusion, at least on my laptop, the perma throttle is there, but with a quick unplug/replug of the ac adapter, no more
throttling until the laptop is shutdown and start it again. I think this will do for now until lenovo find a way to fix the issue after the computer boots and experienced this for the 1st time. Hopefully it is soon enough, otherwise I might also have to return  mine also.

There is only one big issue about this which is that when you plug in the ac adapter for the first time, your system will at one point perma throttle when the gpu is stressed, but in some way you won't know about it unless you are running some software like hwinfo32. It sucks that this is happening to this great laptop. I opened mine today and really like it, but this is a serious issue that lenovo should try to fix as soon as possible if they want people to continue buying this laptop or if they want for the people that already bought it to even keep it.

Also, I think a solution is not hard to find. Even if the problem is with the processor and there is no way to avoid the perma trottle. If there is a way to get out of it, thats all thats needed because after the ac adapter is unplug and plug back in, then the problem does not come back at anytime after that unless you turn off the computer or restart so they just need to find a way to get back to normal speed in the case of the perma throttle and done. That's what I think might be the solution. 

Retired Employee
JameZ

@X220 owners,

Sorry to run off topic, appreciate if all the X220 owners could check if their system is having issues with the brightness keys not being able to work after resuming from Hibernate mode.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/x220-Brightness-Keys-Fail-after-Hibernate/td-p...

If you have that issue, appreciate if you could post there.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
petrov

mellospace, thanks for the testing. I tried your strategy of waiting until the first instance of perma-throttle, then unplugging and replugging the AC adapter to "reset" the clock. Sadly, even though the replugging of the AC adapter "resets" the throttling, it comes straight back to 800mhz when I run OCCT/play games as previously described.

You're lucky your "quick fix" works for you, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

Thanks again anyway.

Petrov.
Blue Screen Again
mellospace

[ Edited ]

petrov wrote:
mellospace, thanks for the testing. I tried your strategy of waiting until the first instance of perma-throttle, then unplugging and replugging the AC adapter to "reset" the clock. Sadly, even though the replugging of the AC adapter "resets" the throttling, it comes straight back to 800mhz when I run OCCT/play games as previously described.

You're lucky your "quick fix" works for you, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

Thanks again anyway.

Petrov.

Yes, thats how its getting fixed on my machine. I tried the test again before heading to work this morning and the same thing happened again. Ran occt and this time it actually took 10min to get the perma throttle. Then I unplug and plug back the ac adapter, ran occt for 20min and no throttle, added prime95 for about 5min and throttled to stock 2700 again. After I stop prime, goes back to normal.

I thought it was that way for everyone, now I'm scared to update the bios. I already updated the lenovo power manager and that didnt make a difference.

Today I might decide to open the i5 (2520m) one and perform the same test on that laptop. What do you think? Or should I just keep this one with the i7. Also, do you think I should perform the bios update, I mean it fixes some other issues, but dont know if by taking a chance I might get the throttle even after the plug/replug. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.