Support in other languages: 
Lenovo Staff
Ken

Re: X220 CPU throttling problem

The BIOS that James pointed out is just for perma-throttle.

As mentioned 2 pages back, the improvements for throttling overall are in the works. The engineering team is looking at all the different ways to detected the power budget limitation and take the appropriate action that has the least effect on performance. There are different ways to react to an over power condition and each has an effect on overall performance. The goal is to make this gap as small as possible.

As many have discussed, this issue is mainly seen using the stress tools and other CPU+GPU intensive applications. This is the environment we are focusing on.

Guru
HiVolt

Yeah, I dont think I'm gonna try this bios. mine works, no perma throttle, and i dont use it in a way that hits the CPU+GPU max throttle.

I'll wait for a solution for that, or an adapter swap if lenovo chooses to do so.
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Punch Card
funk3r

[ Edited ]

So will the new bios address perma throttling with a 65W power adapter? I installed the bios, and I'm still getting perma throttle, except it doesn't fix itself when i restart the system, its still stuck at 797.5 MHz.

Edit: I just recieved my x220t last week, is it normal for the tablet to downclock to 797.5 MHz, when I have it connected to the 65W adapter without the batter in the system? When I plug the battery in, with the AC connected, its back up to the normal speed, but with just the AC connected to the tablet, or to the ultrabase, it only clocks at 797.5 MHz.

Serial Port
Alexo

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

Ken wrote:

Granted I'm a few pages stale in this conversation but here's where we are.

I've seen the new bios for the perma throttle issue and it's going through release now. As I've mentioned before, we used the setup described in this thread to repro the issue so thanks for that. The updated BIOS (yes it's a BIOS update) will go through our release process which involves quality testing before it hits the web. Although I'm not in this group directly, the BIOS will be on the web soon.

Second, on the throttling issue overall. These improvements are still going through trials and the results have much improved performance. This will be a second BIOS update but it is in the works. The perma-throttle fix will be released first.

Can someone explain to me how a BIOS update can solve the problem of an AC adapter not supplying enough power to the CPU?

What's DOS?
thexander

You are horribly mistaken to think that this problem is because the adapter is not delivering adequate power. It is a software issue, not hardware.

Have a great day!

Serial Port
bender957

Alexo

Can someone explain to me how a BIOS update can solve the problem of an AC adapter not supplying enough power to the CPU?

Very easy. They will cut down clock rates and disable turbo boost. Not a big deal.

Serial Port
Alexo

thexander wrote:

You are horribly mistaken to think that this problem is because the adapter is not delivering adequate power. It is a software issue, not hardware.

Have a great day!

Is JameZ "Lenovo Staff" also horribly mistaken stating: "Issue is caused by power drawn by the processor is higher than what the AC can provide thus causing throttle to prevent proc / planar / AC short circuit." ?

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 164
Solutions: 103

Moderator notice: This thread is about throttlling issues in Lenovo X220 systems using Lenovo power adapters.

Numerous messages which were off-topic have been removed.  Please stay on topic.

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
hlime

Balancing the power draw from the adapter and battery is surely a software issue.

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

funk3r wrote:
I just recieved my x220t last week, is it normal for the tablet to downclock to 797.5 MHz, when I have it connected to the 65W adapter without the batter in the system? When I plug the battery in, with the AC connected, its back up to the normal speed, but with just the AC connected to the tablet, or to the ultrabase, it only clocks at 797.5 MHz.

Why don't you just leave the battery in the computer?! Seriously.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]