Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
bender957

Re: X220 CPU throttling problem

[ Edited ]

JNavas, btw your prev message just deleted. censorship is strong.

maybe they should move site to lenovo.cn? it will make sense 

Moderator edit: Removed references to other members which did not conform to the Community Rules. Please treat other community members with respect. No censorship, just volunteer moderators doing our best to keep the discussion on-topic. We've been having a lot of threads swerve off-topic recently. Please start new threads for new topics.

Serial Port
Alexo

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

hlime wrote:

Balancing the power draw from the adapter and battery is surely a software issue.

The balancing won't work very well when the battery is weak and the adapter has to supply power to the computer and charge the battery at the same time.

Serial Port
Alexo

JNavas wrote:
Why don't you just leave the battery in the computer?! Seriously.

Will it work when the battery is empty (or close to it)?

HDMI
GatorBob

FWIW. This was posted in notebook review's lenovo forum:  This X220 user replaced the heatsink compound under his i7 processor to fix throttling.

... my laptop only throttles when it gets too hot, so ensuring you have good thermal contact between CPU and heatsink is important.  I ran prime95 and noticed that my cpu throttled when temps reached above 85+, but after replacing the heatsink compound my temperatures were 81c with only 1x multi lower than max (throttle)
zerius is offline Add to zerius's Reputation Report Post  
Serial Port
bender957

... my laptop only throttles when it gets too hot, so ensuring you have good thermal contact between CPU and heatsink is important.  I ran prime95 and noticed that my cpu throttled when temps reached above 85+, but after replacing the heatsink compound my temperatures were 81c with only 1x multi lower than max (throttle)

so lenovovo service will replace me heatsink compound for free if i will ask?

does lenovo notebooks going on market with low quality heatsink compound?

802.11n
JNavas

Alexo wrote:

JNavas wrote:
Why don't you just leave the battery in the computer?! Seriously.

Will it work when the battery is empty (or close to it)?

How often will that happen? Seriously.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

bender957 wrote:

so lenovovo service will replace me heatsink compound for free if i will ask?

does lenovo notebooks going on market with low quality heatsink compound?

This might be a matter of defective materials and/or defective manufacturing process

If so, yoiu should be entitled to repair under warranty.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
MaBa

Too bad this has absolutely nothing to do with the throtteling discussed here, that is NOT caused by reaching high temperatures but due to too low power provided by the adapter. No heatsink is able to fix this.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
digitaltrix

Hello all, been reading and sifting 'throttlegate' for a more than an hour now and pretty much covered the whole forum.
To say that this community is alive and kicking is an understatement.

Well I am planning to buy an X220 and in an i7 model because I want powered USB 3.0, faster CPU and no issues with express slot but I am sad to hear about the throtting issue.

I am glad to see that many of the forum members are constructive and especially appreciate the helpful updates from Ken & JameZ and other Lenovo Staff.

But anyway more importantly, I thought to point out that I did a check on Youtube, you know that little site where people rarely go sometimes to see videos, and to my alarm, NO videos on the X220 throttling problem! :smileysurprised:

Surely a kind samaritan could put together a short video with various testing s/w &/ games causing the CPU/GPU throttle issue to surface for all to see.:smileywink:

I feel it will be educational for buyers and owners alike but maybe even a small impetus to help Lenovo understand how real the issue is (I have seen scores of websites talking about it already and as a potential customer already dissuaded).

Lastly if Lenovo staff would PM or mention here in the forum, I would move to suggest that potential new buyers, especially those shelling for the higher end would be allowed to choose the 90W non-slim adapter instead of the 65W or both for now, I fail to see how it will create problems for end-users.

If anyone would like to point out why this would be a bad idea, I'd certainly like to know.  

I have serious choices to make with my money and could have gone with other systems that offer more like the Toshiba Satellite e305 (USB 3.0 with i5 choices, streaming HD and more) or VAIOS but want to go with Lenovo. 

A small adapter replacement for the time being should not be an issue I hope.

Thanks for listening and hope to see some YOUTUBE videos online SOON !

Ctrl-Alt-Del
der72

[ Edited ]

@bender957
I 100% agree with you. There were actually multiple videos on youtube about the throttling, whining fan, display bleeding, and display image retention problems of the X220. Now I cannot even find one.

I can't seem to see whether these issues have been successfully addressed. It would be great if somebody from Lenovo would summarize it how they fixed those.

1) Throttling - I understand that bios 1.19 fixes it. (?) Is this the case? One can always buy the 90W PSU.
2) Fan noise - there are different reports of success with the above bios. What is the status now?
3) IPS Display image retention problem - I couldn't find any solution yet. I read that somewhere that engineers "will tell a trick/solution". I am really concerned about this one as the premium display cannot be fixed.
4) Baklit bleeding - many laptops have some but it should be moderate with the IPS sceen. I saw terrible videos and not sure this was a batch issue or all of them have it.

I do not think that bender957 violated any forum rules by pointing out that anything that is critical of Lenovo is removed from the thread even youtube videos links.