Support in other languages: 
erik

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

[ Edited ]

JNavas wrote:

1. I've already posted more hard data than most other participants here.

2. What I've already posted is sufficient.

3. I generally don't waste much time on rude and/or demanding responses.

please understand that you made a new claim yesterday in your post here saying, "I've now seen CPU throttling under normal (not synthetic) heavy CPU load and without heavy GPU load that's so severe that I've changed my position on this issue."

all i'm asking is that you provide the process you used to reach your findings in yesterday's statement.   this is necessary for research.   the video and screenshot have no value without context.   i'm sure you understand this.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

802.11n
JNavas

What Power Plan are you using in Power Manager? Maximum Performance (unmodified), or something else? Thanks.

bender957 wrote:

erik,

specifically what application and/or process did you use to create this "normal (not synthetic) heavy compute load"? 

i am not JNavas but i will ry to answer :smileyhappy:

i have an RV5 machine with i5 and i have this isssue.

i getting throtling issue every time i run these application

EA Need For Speed Pro Street game 

EA Need For Speed Shift game

Test Drive Unlimited 1, 2 games

Sid Mayers Civilization V game

this is not syntetic apps and don't make a stress load.

CPU load never reach more than 60%. Although GPU loaded heavilly i guess.

i even don't need run HWiNFo or CPU-Z to feel throtling.

it looks like game run smooth for 5-6 seconds with good 30-35 frames per second, then dramatically drop down to 7-8 frames per second for a 3-4 sec. Then back to normal state a run smooth again for short period of time like 5-6 sec.

it makes procccess unplayable. When i monitoring to see why it happens i notice that freq for CPU/GPU drop down to 800/650 and then get back to normal state. 

Again, this is not stress. CPU never reach more than 60% and most time loaded about 40-60%.

i don't have this issue with 90W adapter at all.

also a couple words about x220 cooling system. its good. Not excelent but good. I using TPFanControl software to run cooler at 5200 rpm. And usualy temperature under games load is about 77-81C.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Serial Port
bender957

I using "Maximum performance" all the time. Settings for this plan not changed.

802.11n
unclewebb

I asked the programmer of CPU-Z to explain what his program is reporting and here is his reply.

[QUOTE=cpuz;4571680]Of course I admit that CPU-Z is not accurate anymore at idle on latest Intel generations, that is why TMonitor was developped.[/quote]

The programmer of CPU-Z has decided to modify the raw data for consistent validation purposes when these CPUs are lightly loaded.  That's fine but you can't depend on it to accurately show the throttling problems that many laptops have.  TMonitor modifies the multiplier data based on CPU load so it is also not suitable to accurately report CPU multiplier throttling. 

RealTemp and ThrottleStop both follow the Intel recommended monitoring method as outlined in their November 2008 Turbo White Paper.  Both programs have a Log File option so you can log your CPU's performance in real time.

RealTemp 3.67

http://www.mediafire.com/?jibd769x6z7n0c8

ThrottleStop 3.00

www.techinferno.com/downloads/?did=1

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

unclewebb wrote:

I asked the programmer of CPU-Z to explain what his program is reporting and here is his reply.

[QUOTE=cpuz;4571680]Of course I admit that CPU-Z is not accurate anymore at idle on latest Intel generations, that is why TMonitor was developped.[/quote]

The programmer of CPU-Z has decided to modify the raw data for consistent validation purposes when these CPUs are lightly loaded.  That's fine but you can't depend on it to accurately show the throttling problems that many laptops have.  TMonitor modifies the multiplier data based on CPU load so it is also not suitable to accurately report CPU multiplier throttling. 

RealTemp and ThrottleStop both follow the Intel recommended monitoring method as outlined in their November 2008 Turbo White Paper.  Both programs have a Log File option so you can log your CPU's performance in real time.

RealTemp 3.67

http://www.mediafire.com/?jibd769x6z7n0c8

ThrottleStop 3.00

www.techinferno.com/downloads/?did=1

CPU-Z nonetheless shows the effects of CPU throttling, as evidenced by the video I posted.

Extreme precision is not needed.

Windows Performance Monitor can be used to observe CPU throttling as well, also to log it.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Fanfold Paper
yorke3

@ John,

I watched your video. But that doesn't tell anything because the same video can be made by loading applications up manually. The video should show that CPUs are constantly being stressed while the clock speed goes up and down at the same time. I don't think your video by itself can be an evidence of throttling.

802.11n
JNavas

yorke3 wrote:

@ John,

I watched your video. But that doesn't tell anything because the same video can be made by loading applications up manually. The video should show that CPUs are constantly being stressed while the clock speed goes up and down at the same time. I don't think your video by itself can be an evidence of throttling.

I didn't say it was evidence by itself -- it's part of the evidence I posted.

Here is another part.

Hope that helps,
John
Fanfold Paper
yorke3

@john

I should've made my statement clearer. I also saw the second part of the evidence. But that also can be generated in many different ways. What I am saying is that to be an evidence of throttling, your first part and the second part of evidence should be put together; an evidence of throttling should show that the clock speed of cpus going up and down WHILE they are constantly stressed out as one piece.

Paper Tape
turned2black

At what point are we entitled to a refund or credit over this issue? I like this laptop a lot, but I'm not willing to live with gimped performance. At some point, Lenovo needs to make this right. 

802.11n
JNavas

yorke3 wrote:

@john

I should've made my statement clearer. I also saw the second part of the evidence. But that also can be generated in many different ways. What I am saying is that to be an evidence of throttling, your first part and the second part of evidence should be put together; an evidence of throttling should show that the clock speed of cpus going up and down WHILE they are constantly stressed out as one piece.

That's just what I posted.

Hope that helps,
John