Support in other languages: 
802.11n
JNavas

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

[ Edited ]

turned2black wrote:

At what point are we entitled to a refund or credit over this issue? I like this laptop a lot, but I'm not willing to live with gimped performance. At some point, Lenovo needs to make this right. 

Your rights are spelled out in your warranty (subject to applicable laws and regulations). See UM006724.

What Your Service Provider Will Do to Correct Problems
When you contact a Service Provider, you must follow the problem determination and resolution procedures specified.
Your Service Provider will attempt to diagnose and resolve your problem over the telephone, e-mail or through remote assistance. Your
Service Provider may direct you to download and install designated software updates.
Some problems can be resolved with a replacement part that you can install yourself called a “Customer Replaceable Unit” or “CRU.” If
so, your Service Provider will ship the CRU to you for you to install.
If your problem cannot be resolved over the telephone or remotely, through your application of software updates or the installation of a
CRU by you, your Service Provider will arrange for service under the type of warranty service designated for the product under the
section titled “Warranty Information.”
If your Service Provider determines that it is unable to repair your product, your Service Provider will replace it with one that is at least
functionally equivalent.
If your Service Provider determines that it is unable to either repair or replace your product, your sole remedy is to return the product to
your place of purchase or to Lenovo for a refund of your purchase price.

Seems to me your options are:

1. Wait for fix.
  2. Return for full refund.
  3. Buy 90W AC Adapter.

My own choice is to wait for a fix, but if you're in a hurry, you might want to explore a thin/small low-cost aftermarket/3rd-party 20V 90W AC Adapter (link).

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Fanfold Paper
yorke3

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

@john

... I don't know how "what you posted as two separate pieces" are the same as what I said.

Anyway, let's end our conversation here. It looks like we have to go a long way to be in the same page.

Lenovo Staff
Ken

Re: X220 CPU throttling problem

Ok, the improved trial bios is under test on the over all throttling. From what I've seen, it'll address the issues like bender (and others) described. We are targeting release at end of the month. Again we want to do significant testing to ensure we've got significant improvement.

Guru
HiVolt

Ken wrote:

Ok, the improved trial bios is under test on the over all throttling. From what I've seen, it'll address the issues like bender (and others) described. We are targeting release at end of the month. Again we want to do significant testing to ensure we've got significant improvement.

Awesome. Great to hear! :smileyhappy:

---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
802.11n
JNavas

Ken wrote:

Excellent!

PM if you'd like an external tester.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

yorke3 wrote:

@john

... I don't know how "what you posted as two separate pieces" are the same as what I said.

Anyway, let's end our conversation here. It looks like we have to go a long way to be in the same page.

yorke3,
I don't think we're so far apart.
You'd like all data on the same page. I like that too, but in this case had to make do with separate tools,
and I'm too lazy to spend the time to do it all over this time. Maybe next time. Fair enough?
John
p.s. Where we got off track was the implication that I don't know what I'm doing. I actually do. :smileywink:

Hope that helps,
John
Serial Port
bender957

Ken, 

wow, excellent news!

if this new bios will not affect performance with 65W adapter it will be cool

Serial Port
Alexo

Ken wrote:

"Over all" is a very broad term.

Could you please specify what issues are being addressed and what the solution is?

In particular, how does the BIOS update handles the issue of the 65W adapter not having enough "juice"?

Thank you.

Paper Tape
icmoya

external testers?

From the looks of it all of us are the external testers.  :smileyvery-happy:

Lenovo Staff
Ken

Overall meaning not perma-throttling. There are 2 throttling topics weaved into this thread. I was differentiating between the earlier perma-throttling issue and the current general/overall throttling issue to do power limitations.