Support in other languages: 
Guru
HiVolt

Re: X220 CPU throttling problem

I'm kind of reluctant to try the desktop driver on a laptop... Maybe it will cause worse battery life? I am quite fine with the performance as is, and enjoy the good battery life.
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Punch Card
MaBa

[ Edited ]

Oh man.... JNavas, the following sentence I wrote had a purpose:

"And for the future: Before you answer to other posts stating that other people are wrong.... try to understand what those people are saying"

Unfortunately you either did not read or did not understand it, but OK, I am in a nice mood today, so I will again try to explain it for you.....

1. It IS random. That is because of the throttling happening due to power shortage and not being completely steady. Depending on when it happens during the WEI (or any application for that matter) it will result in differences of your results. I'm working with computers (in the sense of building systems up, administrating, etc.) for decades now, so thank you very much, but I know when I have a problem with my system and when there is only random throtteling from an underpowered power supply.

And on a sidenote: It does not let you appear smarter when posting definitions or in general just acting superior over others. You can try this if you make valid statements, but considering what you are posting it just looks childish. 

2. So you are saying: Although there are other, far better drivers from the company that MAKES these graphic processors, and although we are talking about performance which is directly related to the drivers, YOUR opinion is different and thatswhy we all have to disconsider newer drivers as a valid point? ..... OK..... I don't think I have to add anything else here....

3. So you are confirming, that you are either a) doing something horribly wrong, or b) someone else is just plain better than you in using the better drivers, or c) you are seeing just random problems due to knowingly using an (at the moment) underpowered power supply and STILL you are complaining over bad performance?.... How about changing things instead of complaining then? Might be a start....

4. So in 4 lines you basically totally agree with my statement, but call it wrong because I said it and not you? Reread my post, I will guide you through it: 

Me saying, that the current power supply is not enough to let the system run on full power is a fact. It's not an opinion or anything. If it would not be true, this thread would not exist.

In the next sentence I say, that I AGREE WITH YOU (you know, the opposite of saying something different), that Lenovo should exchange the 65W adapter for a more powerfull one.

But yes, stating someone is wrong, is easier than understanding what someone says.

5. Again I can only repeat what I already said many times: READ THE POSTS OF OTHERS BEFORE STATING THEY ARE WRONG. I explicitely said that the i5-25xx and the i7-2620 have nearly identical power and suffer both from throtteling, while the i5-2410 IS NOT.

So what did you do? You compared the two processors, which I stated have a difference in power and power consumption, show what I have said, and than say that you are correct and I am not? OK.... Completely new way of arguing .....

For your information (also taken from notebookcheck.net):

Processor3DMark 06 CPUCinebench R10 32Bit sCinebench R10 32Bit mCinebench R11.5 64Bit
i7-26203754414890843
i5-25403678419091183
i5-25203473392085632.9
i5-24103198364278822.6

So please tell me, as you consider this real applications.... how exactly does the results that the i5-2540 is either identical OR BETTER than the i7 contradict what I said? In what way does it say what you said? Now let's compare the i7 to the i5-2520... I see values roughly 2-7% smaller.... how does THAT contradict what I said? How does it support what you said?

So.....once again...."And for the future: Before you answer to other posts stating that other people are wrong.... try to understand what those people are saying"

Best regards

EDIT: And sorry if this sounds a bit rude, I didn't meant it to, but I am reading these forums regularly and your answers always follow the same pattern of just disagreeing with and disregarding everything others write.

Serial Port
bender957

HiVolt wrote:
I'm kind of reluctant to try the desktop driver on a laptop... Maybe it will cause worse battery life? I am quite fine with the performance as is, and enjoy the good battery life.

i didn't notice any changes on battery life.

if you not palying games on x220 you don't need update to latest intel drives.

lenovo drivers provides a good graphics performance in MS Excel and Word already. XD

Punch Card
MaBa

HiVolt,

I am using the newest drivers from Intel for quite some time now and I can asure you, that you will be only benefiting (OK, there is one problem: stronger throtteling when not using a 90W power adapter, but it still only occurs, when both the CPU and GPU are stressed). 

Other than that, battery life is as good as with the Lenovo drivers. I get through a whole day of 10h work with the 9 cell battery and still have a bit left doing mainly writing with the occasional calculation. When stressing it to the maximum the battery lasts around 2.5-3 hours.

What you get is far better performance for graphically intense applications like CAD, Rendering or basically anything that supports calculations on the GPU.

Best regards.

Guru
HiVolt

Ah, well I don't use my laptop for gaming or GPU accelerated apps... I'll just leave it as is for now, maybe I'll try it after Lenovo's official throttling fix is released.
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
802.11n
JNavas

MaBa wrote:
[SNIP]
EDIT: And sorry if this sounds a bit rude, I didn't meant it to, but I am reading these forums regularly and your answers always follow the same pattern of just disagreeing with and disregarding everything others write.

1,2,3,4. What I wrote is correct, and since you've added nothing new, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

5. You are trying to move the goalposts. Sorry, but no.

Last but not least, if you want to have any further discussion with me, you'll have to not only come up with something more persuasive in support of your contentions, but lose the rude tone and style.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
MaBa

Oh, I see.... so nothing unexpected here....

1,2,3,4 => presented facts, disregarded due to not matching your opinion..... as expected.

5 => "trying to move goalposts"....like seriously??? I just cited what I said, I cited what you said, and I cited your source showing you exactly where you are wrong and you are just stating I am moving goalposts?

In my life I met a few people not aknowledging when they were wrong but in the end, when confronted with hard facts they all admitted were they wrong. The same goes for me, but until you I have never ever met someone who everytime when he is clearly proven wrong just gets defensive and "agrees to disagree".

And nevermind, I won't discuss this topic further with you as it now starts to derail from the initial topic (although it is covered in all of the 5 points). I think everyone reading this forum already realized what the facts are and what is only one single opinion from someone disregarding everything else :smileywink:

Nevertheless I wish you a nice evening or in your case more like a nice day. And I thank you for enlighting mine :smileywink:

802.11n
JNavas

MaBa,

We'll just have to agree to disagree,

and since you continue to be rude, I'll not respond further.

Take care.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

POWER MANAGER: 3.62, High Performance profile, Lenovo Turbo Boost+ enabled

BIOS: 1.19
DRIVERS
: Latest from Lenovo
CONFIG: ThinkPad X220, i7-2620M CPU, 8GB RAM, 80GB mSATA SSD, 320GB 7200RPM HDD, IPS screen, USB 3.0, BT, Cam, FR, Win7x64 

Component Details  65W Adapter Subscore   90W Adapter Subscore 
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz               7.1               7.1
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB (2 x 4 GB)               7.5               7.5
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics Family               5.0               5.9
Gaming graphics 1696 MB Total available graphics memory               6.2               6.3
Primary hard disk 24GB Free (64GB Total)               7.6               7.6

Bottom line is that the standard 65W Adapter in not capable of delivering full system performance even with a fully charged battery installed, so Lenovo should:

1. disclose this fact, and
  2. supply a more powerful adapter, at least as an option (not just as an accessory).
Hope that helps,
John
Guru
HiVolt

[ Edited ]

JNavas,

Interesting finding. I just re-ran my WEI score (I never re-ran after upgrading ram) and basically got the exact same scores you got with the 90W adapter, except I have the standard 65W adapter. All my drivers are current from TVSU, I never installed any others.

http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/7964/x220wei.jpg

Config: X220 i7-2620M, 8GB, OCZ Vertex2 240GB SSD, IPS, USB 3.0, BT, 720P Cam, Intel 6205 WiFi, Win7 64 Home Premium Lenovo preload, Bios 1.16

Could perhaps the few extra trinkets you have in yours, mSATA SSD, 7200rpm HDD, FP Reader be drawing just a little extra juice that yours throttles down with the 65W adapter?

---------------------